Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New scope time for me : Boren PowerNewt

Catanonia

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is an interesting telescope. It appears to be an f4 Newtonian with a 0.7x corrector/reducer? I wonder whether they sell the c/r separately?

You can Steve, its the ASA 0.73 corrector. Ive borrowed one and it works very well on my Orion CT newtonian, reducing the FL down to F3.5., It will work on most reflectors, backfocus is approx 65mm you just need to ensure you can achive the in-focus. Collimation at F2.8 is going to be difficult, I think Boren mentions the amount of time he spends collimating on another forum to achive his great images, He does image from fantastically dark skies though, its a challenge but not impossible.

You can Steve, its the ASA 0.73 corrector. Ive borrowed one and it works very well on my Orion CT newtonian, reducing the FL down to F3.5., It will work on most reflectors, backfocus is approx 65mm you just need to ensure you can achive the in-focus. Collimation at F2.8 is going to be difficult, I think Boren mentions the amount of time he spends collimating on another forum to achive his great images, He does image from fantastically dark skies though, its a challenge but not impossible.

ah good information, alot of talk about it on the web, no no real stories of people using the corrector in other scopes.

Yes, the dreaded colimation ;) Hopefully when I have it bang on and locked down, it will rarely need tweaking as it will be a pernament fixture on the mount in the observatory.

Your Powernewt will be 3.58 x faster than your Skywatcher 190, will be watching with interest. From speaking with ASA you can reduce the backfocus by 3mm and achive an extra 5mm FOV and still ensure good clean stars at the edge of the FOV. You are restricted to the 8300 chip size wise, the corrector wont give you coverage on larger chips, however at 560mm Fl you can squeeze in a lot of sky .

cheers

Mark

Your Powernewt will be 3.58 x faster than your Skywatcher 190, will be watching with interest. From speaking with ASA you can reduce the backfocus by 3mm and achive an extra 5mm FOV and still ensure good clean stars at the edge of the FOV. You are restricted to the 8300 chip size wise, the corrector wont give you coverage on larger chips, however at 560mm Fl you can squeeze in a lot of sky .

cheers

Mark

I will be using the QHY9 mono CCD with a KAF-8300 8.6 mpixel chip so should be fine according to the diagrams.

8z-powernewton-ausleuchtung.jpg

I saw this scope and was interested by it.

Sorry to be a bit negative but it appears that this is a just a slightly upgraded version of the GSO f4 newtonian (as sold by Teleskop Service as a steel tube version and better focuser here) with an ASA corrector . Having said that I'd be fascinated to know your real life experience of this setup as it does look interesting.

The Boren Simon one from Teleskop Service has an upgraded focuser and carbon fibre but the original one from Boren Simon really does appear to be the astrophoto optimized TS plus corrector.

I picked up a TS f4 for £300 and can add this corrector for just over 720 euros.

Please correct me if wrong but this seems to be the consensus online.

TS have a track record of taking a scope from other manufactures and tweaking it for improved performance. They did this with the GSO and now have done it with the Boren Simon.

Paul

I saw this scope and was interested by it.

Sorry to be a bit negative but it appears that this is a just a slightly upgraded version of the GSO f4 newtonian (as sold by Teleskop Service as a steel tube version and better focuser here) with an ASA corrector . Having said that I'd be fascinated to know your real life experience of this setup as it does look interesting.

The Boren Simon one from Teleskop Service has an upgraded focuser and carbon fibre but the original one from Boren Simon really does appear to be the astrophoto optimized TS plus corrector.

I picked up a TS f4 for £300 and can add this corrector for just over 720 euros.

Please correct me if wrong but this seems to be the consensus online.

TS have a track record of taking a scope from other manufactures and tweaking it for improved performance. They did this with the GSO and now have done it with the Boren Simon.

Paul

Indeed, many including telescope resellers I have talked to have said that all it is is a TS 4 with a ASA corrector and you simply have to marry them. The problem is none of the ones I have spoken to can get the bits to do it or are willing to take the financial risk to try it.

The main problem is getting the ASA corrector, they are sort supply and need to be good ones.

The TS one I am getting has a focuser upgrade to steel track lower profile that can support more weight, a well known Boren issue, carbon tube (that costs a bit) and a few other bits for roughly the same price as the steel one currently advertised on Borens site. TS seem to have taken the risk, proved it works and more importantly can supply as well as supplying the upgrades. All in all if I sourced and built myself, I could probably save a few hundred quid.

At the end of the day, I could probably try to build one myself, and more than likely fail along the route, an expensive route should I fail. This way I get a proven scope and the support related to it.

I must admit, this is a risk. F2.8, focusing, colimation, but if it works out, well I should be laughing with an ultra fast scope capable of making the best of our miserable weather.

Fingers crossed. I should know within a week, depending on the clouds.

The main problem is getting the ASA corrector, they are sort supply and need to be good ones.

QUOTE]

I think they only make good ones

;-) at 800+ euros they had better be........ TS have them in stock however I know Bern is speaking with ASA at the moment.

QUOTE]

I think they only make good ones

;-) at 800+ euros they had better be........ TS have them in stock however I know Bern is speaking with ASA at the moment.

Yes I have been speaking with Bern and he is struggling to even talk to ASA to see if he can get them. Not an easy process but knowing Bern, I am sure he will succeed eventually. My scope is coming via Bern @ Modern at a very good price.

Yes, the dreaded colimation ;) Hopefully when I have it bang on and locked down, it will rarely need tweaking as it will be a pernament fixture on the mount in the observatory.

Hehehehe, good luck with that ;) The only scope I have found to keep proper collimation long term is my SCT. The MN190 is pretty good too.

Have you got a Catseye system Steve? Its going to take that to get the accuracy you need imho.

Archived