SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wide M42 now with Ha.

ollypenrice

Keep coming back here to look again saved as my desktop picture gets my vote as POW a truly stunning image and a real pleasure to look at. You must be a very happy chap up there :icon_confused:

Thanks. Yes, I'm happy with this one but on the other hand I'm really struggling with the Pleiades so they don't all work out!

Olly

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used a small 3.5 inch refractor on a mount that is perfectly portable and a CCD camera (actually we have two and both contributed to this.) However, it must be said that the scope was very expensive... a Takahashi FSQ85ED. The other bit of the equation is that I live at 3000 feet in the least light polluted place in mainland Europe... and since this is my work I don't have to worry about being up all night!

In order of importance; site, camera, mount, scope.

Olly

Just googled that scope :icon_confused:

If I took pictures like this, I would email them to NASA for a laugh and say, "er...guy's you know that hubble telescope thing you spent $36.000.000 on putting into space to take pretty photos....er..well I took this last night from my back yard using a little 3.5" telescope..........":D

Gets my vote for POW.

Keep em coming olly!

stan:icon_salut:

Just googled that scope :icon_confused:

If I took pictures like this, I would email them to NASA for a laugh and say, "er...guy's you know that hubble telescope thing you spent $36.000.000 on putting into space to take pretty photos....er..well I took this last night from my back yard using a little 3.5" telescope..........":D

Gets my vote for POW.

Keep em coming olly!

stan:icon_salut:

Ah, but with a short focal length we amateurs can only image widefield objects. Few amateurs do deep sky at more than about 2.5 metres of FL, after which it gets a bit more difficult. I will soon be imaging at just under 2.5 metres, all being well, but I think it's going to be kind of tricky!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fay and everyone else who has been so kind. It is very touching and means a lot to me. Although the new observatory build is taking all my time I keep pottering at this one and have worked on star colour and tightened up the cluster to the east of the Running Man. I try to bring a layer of pure RGB for the stars through into the Ha modified layer.

I get quite a few questions about the FSQ85 because the price is so insane, but what can one say about a little scope that pulls in perfect data night after night after night? And with its short FL you don't need good seeing or particularly good tracking... nor do you need so much time since it can work at F3.9.

Olly

NEW-BLUE-STARS-VERSION2B-XL.jpg

Archived