Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New widefield M42.

ollypenrice

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - Simply Stunning. Olly your processing skills are phenomenal!! Have you thought about writing a book? I'm sure you & Steppenwolf would write a best seller. How about 'Making Every Pixel Perfect'. :icon_confused:

Once again Stunning Image

John

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the first image I've seen that has both astounded and depressed me at the same time. :(

I spent a frustrating night trying to add the longer subs to mine, lugging the gear out to the bottom of the graveyard to try and get a southern view only to have the NEQ6 refuse to behave itself. I'm starting to think that the NEQ6 doesn't like being under-loaded with just a 66 and finder/guider.

On the plus side, seeing this means I can give up on it now and stick with chasing smaller objects with the Mak which seems to force the mount to behave itself so well.

p.s. The added Ha version is even more stunning. :)

Excellent image Olly, I very much like how you've captured the surrounding gas cloud and the darker structures. Some very fine processing to get the dynamic range across that image - awesome!:)

You almost shuoldn't upload pics this good, it just makes me so jealous i almost just want to cry, haha. :)

So butiful, and so detailed and clear, and had really no idea it was That much nebulosity in that area! Just really awsome! :(

Guess i will just have to give this target a go myself at 250mm, even though i'll have to shoot at f/6.3 and probably won't capture much with an unmodded 550d. But now that i've seen this i just have to try anyway, lol... :)

• 1 year later...

Blimey, this is an old thread, just in case anyone thinks we've logged up 22 hours on M42 by the end of September!

I've left this image alone and been pleased with it for two years, partly because I couldn't think of a way of helping it along. However, we now have the TEC140 giving a pancake-flat field across the Atik 11000 chip so maybe we can take it forward a little this year. I'm not sure how much the increased resolution would provide but there's only one way to find out...

In its final incarnation with a light Ha layer it looks like this. (I go easy on Ha in M42 because it blurs out some of the shapes in the nebula, notably the wonderful little hook or finger curling out of a hole near the Trapezium. But it adds to the faint structures around the bright nebula.)

M42%20WIDE%202FLsV3-XL.jpg

Olly

Archived