SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting there- Jupiter

bm1980

Hi all these are my efforts at jupiter at about 21:00 on 22/11/11

still a long way to go and they are over processed but i am happy and i think its my best to date.

captured with an spc880 attached to my 127 mak and 2x barlow aprox 2000 frames stacked in R6, hope you like,comments welcome as always. I think i have hit my limit with the 2x barlow, i am now ready for the 3x, but nowhere has any in stock :)

Regards

Ben :)

post-24720-13387769773_thumb.png

post-24720-133877697735_thumb.jpg

post-24720-133877697738_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sky is supposed to be clear from 4am onwards so setting my alarm. I have roughly the same setup so excited judging by your pics. I had a quick attempt the other night but had my resolution set to 160X120. Didn't realise I could change it until I investigated in here. Can't wait to get an image like yours!!

Thanks guys for the replies, i have now got my 3x barlow, i got a chance to use it last night before the clouds rolled in, heres the best image i could capture last night hope you like. I think the 3x has helped bring out a lot more detail. i am chuffed with the result. :)

I am going to have a go at doing an animation with the capture images,does anybody know of a good program to use to make the animation?

Regards

Ben :)

post-24720-133877698273_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben - great pic. As a fellow 'I need a 3x Barlow guy' can you let me know what you got in the end and where you got it from? I have been waiting on the TAL for ages but it appears unlikely that they will be available this year.

Bruce

Hi Bruce i my 3x yesterday from opticstar in manchester, it is there own Barlow

see here Opticstar 1.25" x3 Short Achromatic Barlow.

Hope this helps, seems to do the job just fine and at a reasonable price.

Regards

Ben

Thanks Ben. I see they are now on 'back order' so it seems I will still be waiting!!:icon_confused: I will give them a call on Monday to see when they expect them again though.

Regards

Bruce

Thanks Ben. I see they are now on 'back order' so it seems I will still be waiting!!:icon_confused: I will give them a call on Monday to see when they expect them again though.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce the website says they are on back order but i think they have them in stock as i picked up from the shop. maybe they havent updated their website, so you might be in luck.

Regards

Ben

Is that what you would see through your scope with your eye or is it because the camera makes it look better because I have the same scope and it never looks that good. Why?

Cheers,

Seth

No unfortunatlly not, what you see through the eyepiece is much brighter and less detail, but you should still be able to make out the main two cloud bands and the GRS if on display, it all depends on a few things like- allowing the scope to cool down

enough, correct focus, a reasonably high powered eyepiece and of course good visibillity.

Regards

Ben :icon_confused:

As a fellow 'I need a 3x Barlow guy'

I think I need to join this club !

I always say I won't image and then put the webcam on just to disappoint myself :icon_confused:

Yep I'm just off to retrieve that letter I wrote to Santa.......Do you think the bearded man gets a discount on Powermates ?????

Great images Ben by the way !

Neil

If you don't have a 3 x barlow lens, you could try putting an adapter in the mix to take the camera further back.

I have tried this but cannot seem to get the correct focus. I know it should work but try as I might I never seem to get it to work.

Thanks ben I was beggining to think my scope was faulty:)

No your scopes probably not faulty, i was also underwhelmed ( dont think thats the right spelling) i think its a case of becoming used to your scope, practicing what works best for you and you will be amazed at what detail you can pick out by just observing visually.

Regards

Ben :icon_confused:

I think I need to join this club !

I always say I won't image and then put the webcam on just to disappoint myself :rolleyes:

Yep I'm just off to retrieve that letter I wrote to Santa.......Do you think the bearded man gets a discount on Powermates ?????

Great images Ben by the way !

Neil

Thanks Neil, that 6se would really benift from the 3x barlow, i would def get it on your xmas list ;)

I am the same i say to myself "no laptop tonight" but i always seem to find myself running in and turfing the wife off "facebook" because the "seeing is so good tonight" and setting up the spc web cam.

I think i need to get into the country to a nice dark site without the laptop or camera, then i can have a good night just visually observing, but if i did i would probablly find myself saying " i wish i had my laptop and web cam" :icon_confused:

Regards

Ben

but i always seem to find myself running in and turfing the wife off "facebook"

Brave man

Fotunately I live in a two laptop house.

I'm toying with getting hold of a cheap secondhand netbook.

The way I see it, it just needs to be able to hook up your webcam and record for a few minutes?

So as long as the battery is reasonable that should do.

Better than risking a dropped decent laptop outside?

Archived