Bob Goff Memorial Spectrohelioscope solidly in design phase

Astroman

After many tribulations with many projects, I now have moved on to designing the above mentioned solar observing instrument. I enclose a couple pictures of the test setup for the 6" F/20 telescope section. I'll have a web page setup before too long, (I hope) and direct you there for future updates.

The picnic table is 8' long. Rosie is 5'4" tall. The image of the Sun with my 32mm EP is just under half the disk, but the level of detail is amazing. I'm fairly excited. 8)

Is Rosie using a filter AM. or is there a Mylar or other covering the mirror?

Who made the mirror?. Won't have taken long. the Sagitta can only be 18 thou.

I have a friend who acquired a solar mirror of about the same f ratio, He made a folding plywood box tube for it on a Dob. mount

As well as a super solar image, we had some great lunar sights as well. A good fun telescope. Great stuff.

Ron. :)

Whoops, went for another look AM, images gone AWOL.

Rosie is just holding it for scale. The Sun is at the other end. :D Aside from that, there was a filter in the EP A'la my other solar scope designs.

My friend Paul Lind made the mirror. It tests nearly perfect, better than 20th wave and Strehl ratio ~97. He's good, this guy, which is why I'm needling him to do my 16" F/5. :)

Rosie is just holding it for scale. The Sun is at the other end. :) Aside from that, there was a filter in the EP A'la my other solar scope designs.

My friend Paul Lind made the mirror. It tests nearly perfect, better than 20th wave and Strehl ratio ~97. He's good, this guy, which is why I'm needling him to do my 16" F/5. :D

Blimey, the figure on it must just be a fleeting ghost. :)

Actually, I was suprised how much curvature was on it when I placed a straight edge over it. :shock: No need to parabolize it, though, which is why he took the time to make it perfect.

I suppose the small diameter makes even 18 thou. look deep AM. I don't doubt the quality of the work for a second. There is a lot of work goes into creating a perfect sphere and no turned edge. I look forward to your post on using it in earnest, will you manage to get some images of further progress in the build, I am rather interested in this project of yours.

Ron.

Archived