Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Site Locations

mcro89

Hi,

Thought i would make a thread where we can all post our darksite locations.

To start off here is a great light pollution map we can use for refrence:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

I have used a dark site near Tunstall in suffolk its about 30-40min away from Ipswich and as far as i can tell there wasn't much light pollution at all.

Here is its location via google maps:

Tunstall Hall, Snape Rd, Tunstall, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 2JL, UK to Unknown road - Google Maps

Point A is Tunstall and point B is a carpark in Tustall forest which is my darksite. Yes there are trees but they have cut an area down so there is still some nice big skies here.

Matt

Yeah great idea!

This website has dark sky locations highlighted if you zoom in to east anglia:

need-less light pollution

I was at Kelling Heath (North Norfolk coast) in the summer and it looked awesome with the naked eye.

Note - I don't know if this is already common knowledge cos I'm a bit new to this game!

Kwizxi - I can only imagine the pain you must feel!

Morning all.

I grew up in the little village of Newbourne.

150 or so small holdings a few houses one pub and a church spread out over several square miles.

It is situated in the middle of Ipswich, Woodbridge and Felixstowe.

There are no street lights what so ever and if you know how to get to the lane which runs through the middle of the village there are no houses within a 1/4 mile.

There are no trees to obstruct your views just pure clear skies.

It is just a shame when I left home I could not afford to buy a house there and had to move into this light ridden prison of a town called Ipswich.

Sorry to all who love this town but I am a country boy and even though I have been stuck here for 25 years I still long for the open fields.

Maybe one day I can go home (if I win the lottery.LOL)

Graham.

This is a great idea. There must be a few good sites around Suffolk, its hardly a metropolis north if Ipswich, Tunstall looks ideal. I like the idea of somewhere by the coast, no massive sources of light pollution out to sea plus a clear view down to the horizon.

Hi,

Thought i would make a thread where we can all post our darksite locations.

To start off here is a great light pollution map we can use for refrence:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

I have used a dark site near Tunstall in suffolk its about 30-40min away from Ipswich and as far as i can tell there wasn't much light pollution at all.

Here is its location via google maps:

Tunstall Hall, Snape Rd, Tunstall, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 2JL, UK to Unknown road - Google Maps

Point A is Tunstall and point B is a carpark in Tustall forest which is my darksite. Yes there are trees but they have cut an area down so there is still some nice big skies here.

Matt

The Tangham campsite and car park nearby are quite astronomer friendly now too.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Bit late on the realisation of this thread, but I am based in Cambs if anyone wants a meet nearby send me a PM :)

Chris, I know of a few darkish sites in the area. Have you been to the paxton pits meetings before?

I use the small parking area at the end of LODGE ROAD, Walberswick.

very little light pollution.

Trees can be a small problem towards the NW, but not a major problem...

Anyone want to meet up PM me......

Ian

Hey all,

Bit late on the realisation of this thread, but I am based in Cambs if anyone wants a meet nearby send me a PM :)

Chris, I know of a few darkish sites in the area. Have you been to the paxton pits meetings before?

I did go along to a St Neots AA observing evening once - but it was cloudy unfortunately. Since my Monday night commitments have gone away I shall give it a go at their next observing evening.

Just to add.. Graham, OASI have been holding monthly open-field observing sessions in the field behind Newbourne village hall last year... I assume they'll be doing the same this year... it's a pretty good site, once the lights are off I was certainly able to clearly see M51 and M81/82 through my 5" scope from there with no filters of any kind.

I do my imaging from the carpark at my work location, a small business centre just outside Ipswich... which is where a few of us met last November. It has some industrial stuff around it with 24hr lighting but despite this I get naked-eye Milkyway there pretty much every time I go and it's clear. Has the advantage of shelter and mains power should it be needed :-)

It'd be great to find a remote site we can all use though... somewhere with good south westerly views would be goo as I want somewhere local to try and get Sagittarius objects from in the summer :-)

Ben

Veering slightly offtopic - what are the OASI like? Fairly newbie friendly?

I tried getting in conctact a few years ago during my first dabblings with astronomy - but never really got very far. I think I could use a few people showing me some stuff that I never quite figured out for myself!

:)

Chris

Veering slightly offtopic - what are the OASI like? Fairly newbie friendly?

I tried getting in conctact a few years ago during my first dabblings with astronomy - but never really got very far. I think I could use a few people showing me some stuff that I never quite figured out for myself!

:icon_salut:

Chris

Nice bunch of people....

When I joined I found they were a little too focused on using/maintaining/restoring the victorian observatory at the school. I mean it's a great cause, but not massively helpful for those of us who want to go to a dark location and do real astronomy with our own scopes/imaging rigs.

They have been doing a lot more 'open-field' observing nights (see above) this last year and there's pleanty of people there to help... just a need for more actual useful, practical astronomy related activity I feel.

That's my 2p anyway :-)

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

My astronomy buddy and I were wondering whether the big field behind snape maltings (where the statue of the horse and cart is) would be a good dark spot. Mind you the Tunstall location above sounds very interesting :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm in Newmarket. Does anyone want to meet up for some dark sky gazing in the local area. I'm in the centre of Newmarket and the light pollution is terrible! I'm a relative newbie but just back from the isle of wight star party. It was fantastic, by the way! David

Hi guys good thread !

I currently live in Norwich but my scope will be left at my parents who live on the norfolk coast near bacton. so hopefully will offer low LP. I'll also be at kelling heath in September so hopefully ill see some fellow astronomers !

Clear skies !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived