SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Your Present Age & Age You Started Stargazing?

Mr Q

Always been interested in space. Mom & Dad bought me a Tasco type scope when I was about 10. It didn't get used much (I still have it though). Got divorced and took early retirement in 2007 then bought a 'proper' scope(s). I'm now 57.

Steve

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First got interested about 11 I'd say. Built a 8" f/8 Newt in my twenties, had a big gap from about id thirties until a couple of years ago disheartened by London's light pollution and boiling seeing. Now starting again (See sig) and am now 55.

That's interesting. A lot of us started during pre-teen years and still into the hobby later in life. Shows how rewarding the hobby is.

Wish I had a forum like this one to learn from when I was a kid but that was before the computer age:( All I had were S&T and Astronomy magazines when I got to high school and read them over and over in the school library.

Hope we hear from some youngsters that aren't scared away by all us old geezers:icon_sad:

Hello and welcome,

I was 8 or 9 and started with 7 x 35 Bins, I made my own 6" newtonian at 14 which i used until I was 19, then i turned to the dark side and stopped for many years before returning with a vengance, I'm now 45 and two out of my brood of four have taken up astronomy.

I must of been about 8, I went on a camping holiday for the whole summer hols with my Granparents in Scotland (in a split screen VW camper, if only I knew then!!) Only used bins as we couldn't afford a scope back then.

Jump forward 35yrs and my own son is now 8 and luckily we can afford a scope and are enjoying it together, at 43 I should of done it before now!!

52 now (though I still act like a 12 year old according to the wife!)...been into astronomy since the age of 11. Though took a big break after university to get married and have kids etc etc....Been seriously back into it for the last 6 years.

Always walked around staring at the sky and remember my dad pointing out satalites and watching a comet through binos at a very young age, through school astromony and physics were my passion but only really started getting into it seriously now at 26 :-) currently considering a course through the open university in astronomy :-)

Xxx

Archived