SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Your Present Age & Age You Started Stargazing?

Mr Q

In my earlier introduction, a reply mentioned I was one of two members of age 64. So I was wondering what the age range of SGL members are and at what age they started the hobby. I was 10 when I started. How about you?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very young when I got my first two telescopes. I received a book on "Astronomy" by Patrick Moore about my Jr. High School years, and never turned back!

I am 64, and as you see below, I am VERY active in our local club's activities! At one point, I was President of the club, but work kind of got in the way for a while.

Jim S.

I tried to make a Newtonian out of a shaving mirror and Meccano when I was 10. It gave a horrible image. By 17 I made a respectable newt from a 10" porthole, equatorial mounting (clock driven by the remains of my Meccano set) and was into astrophotography with a home made film camera.

50 years and many telescopes later, I have a 15" chunk of quartz waiting to be turned into a planetary scope. No more Meccano, now I use a milling machine and a lathe that is older than me.

Eric

I am 44 and got into this about 4 years ago on a serious basis.

I have always taken an interest and have seen some amazing things like Hale Bopp, Hayakutake, Solar eclipses etc and come to think of it, even at around 10-11 I can recall the frustration and the butterflies/churning in the pit of my stomach trying to understand what 'Universe' meant and what's 'outside' of the Universe. I still get that now although I understand that there does not seem to be anything outside as there is not really an outside so to speak..

Apollo 11 got me started. Restarted about 8 years ago when the daughter left home for University and dads taxis were no longer required (and I hated the thought of watching rubbish on the T.V.) I also needed an outlet for my time (and money) when I stopped drinking. Now aged 54-seems a popular age to be a Stargazer.

I'm 30 now, I got my real interest in astronomy last year.

I got my telescope earlier this year, so I've not been at it long.

I suppose I'm probably just younger than average for a practical astronomer, so I've got plenty of time to learn as much as possible.

Archived