Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield Pleiades

This is my first attempt at taking tracked exposures, using the eq3-2 and dslr combination and also the first time I've used a cheap m45 screw thread lens I picked up from ebay (fittingly to capture M45 :))

This is 10 x 60 seconds subs and 5 darks stacked in DSS. Taken used my 1100d and 135mm Pentacon lens at f4.

I used APT to capture the subs and focus the camera, it's a great piece of software and I really enjoyed the process.

Overall I'm very happy with it, but there are a number of problems.

Firstly I couldn't get longer than 1 minute subs which I assume is probably poor polar alignment although I did take some time over trying to get it right. I doff my hat at those who can achieve 2 minutes at much longer focal lengths than this.

Secondly on the brighest stars there is some nasty chromatic aberration, which I tried to remove in the subs prior to stacking, but it hasn't worked.

Thanks for looking, Rob.

post-23756-13387769642_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, did you just use a RA motor on the EQ3-2? I'm looking to get a new mount, and I was looking at EQ3 Pro, but if EQ3-2 with motors is ok then that's easier! I really want to image Pleiades, only managed Orion so far!

That image looks really good to me :)

Hi, did you just use a RA motor on the EQ3-2? I'm looking to get a new mount, and I was looking at EQ3 Pro, but if EQ3-2 with motors is ok then that's easier! I really want to image Pleiades, only managed Orion so far!

That image looks really good to me :)

Yes, a standard eq3 with ra motor. The pro version would make things a little easier as it has goto, and an st4 port for guiding.

Archived