Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR to CCD, what awaits me?

Jessun

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just had an M31 pic taken with a OSC camera chosen by Skywatcher to advertise their MN190 telescope:)

Had to look that one up! (The scope...) Looks smart! Bang for the buck it seems.

Anyways, does anyone have a image straight from an OCD that you could upload - a crop would be great - just so I can see what kind of file it is and get to grips with de-bayering?

/Jesper

.....I've seen some of your work and it's worth it! Keep them coming!

/Jesper

Thanks Jesper. It's the friendly supportive family that is this forum which keeps me going in this imaging lark, despite the seeming endless frustrations and disappointments!

Anyways, does anyone have a image straight from an OCD that you could upload - a crop would be great - just so I can see what kind of file it is and get to grips with de-bayering?

You'd probably just want to use Nebulosity for your capturing. It works very well and has a great fine-focus feature which I much prefer over a Bahtinov mask.

It will save the files as 16-bit .FITS and does the debayering automatically as long as your camera is supported. Most of the decent ones are.

Thanks guys. I'll try out a few programs I think. I am putting a lot of hope to AA5 atm. I wish there was an APT for CCD's too. The simlicity of use is commendable.

Ah well, still waiting for this one...

/Jesper

Hmmmm.... Must admit the Sony A200 seems a brilliant camera and I have had some great results with it. I shall be continuing to use it for quite some time as I need my finances to recover from obsy build and new scope. In fact I still need a few odd and ends. Seems you have to spend a lot of money to get a half decent CCD camera. I need to get a lot more practice with DSLR and webcams anyway.

In relation to the original question at the top of this thread, after making the jump from a DSLR to a CCD I would have to say my answer is:

`Cables`

Seriously - It's like wading through the Amazon everytime I want to take a photo! But on the plus side here's a crude side by side comparison of an older DSLR picture I took vs the CCD:

6474838335_d59d73d16f_b.jpg

The DSLR was a 10min exposure while the CCD was 5 - I know, not the best comparison in the world but when I stretched the 5minute CCD picture I could get a very similar amount of nebulosity as the 450D while the image was still almost as smooth.

Thanks samir_ansari,

Good comparison shot. Nice improvement! I'll do some similar comparisons soon I hope. The camera I ordered is just too popular - or their factory is too small :-)

I'll take your advice on cables too!

• 3 months later...

this is a great post. i am considering a dedicated CCD over my Nikon DSLR. I feel though that imaging will take more time with the CCD. Weather where I live can be very poor for weeks on end, so I am not sure if I will get the benefits from CCD imaging

Archived