Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Thinking of buying a telescope in the near future.

Looking for some advice fellas.

Which would you buy for general stargazing and would give most enjoyment

The Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian or

Skywatcher 150 PL or perhaps some other to recommend?

most will tell ya to get the 200p unless you plan on doing astrophotography at any point.

will you be observing at home or traveling to an area ?

the 200p is well respected scope.

Edited by rory

I'd agree with Rory - if you're not bothered with imaging then you want as large an aperture as you can within budget. The 200P Dobsonian is a teriffic aperture for a first scope and it will keep you well occupied with the sky for several years.

You will need a collimation tool to go with it and a bit left over for other sundry devices like finders, eyepieces, dew shield, etc - but the collimator is the only immediate requirement - the other stuff can wait :)

My first was the 150p and it was great. If you get it it will not let you down and is able to show saturn rings edge on which i saw. If you can have a look to see if there are any shops near you just to see them both. May help your choice. But i think that both scopes will please you

The 150 sounds perfect to start with. Views will be amazing to anyone starting.

The advantage with an equatorial mount is that you do get to learn about the rotation of the Earth and single plane tracking in RA. You also have to polar align - which is no biggie - and the movement of the stars relative to Earth with that scope puts you more "at one" with the Universe.

My first scope was a 150P on EQ3-2 and it's a smashing starter scope for visual - but the mount and tripod aren't as stable as a dob and it does have inherent vibrations. A 200P tube would want an EQ5 (preferably HEQ5) if mounted equatorially. I wouldn't attempt imaging with an EQ3-2 for these reasons.

I've seen experienced dob users go to EQ mounts and been totally confused - and the other way round too lol. Both have ads and disads - it all depends where you want to start.

Just a couple of things to think about :)

Edited by brantuk

theres someone on here selling a 200p dob with telrad and a few more extras for £200 !

if it was the other side of xmas id have grabbed it myself. seems a bargain to me.

although i think you need 50 posts or something to buy on the "for sale" forum.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php

Edited by rory

The advantage with an equatorial mount is that you do get to learn about the rotation of the Earth and single plane tracking in RA. You also have to polar align - which is no biggie - and the movement of the stars relative to Earth with that scope puts you more "at one" with the Universe.

)

Personally I think just being out under the stars for a night shows the rotation of the Earth much better than any mount.

Why watch a mount when the universe shows you with style.

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Steve - I was really discussing the differences between the dob and the eq mounts - you get more appreciation of the movement of the sky relative to the Earth using an eq mount through polar alignment and RA/Dec tracking.

A dob mount is just up/down/left/right, and for a newbie they wouldn't get the same appreciation quite so readily - though they may find a dob more intuitive to set up and use straight away.

Of course there's nothing better than being under the universe through the night watching the constellations rise and set (the "at one'ness" was really a bit tongue in cheek lol) :)