Canon IS binoculars

Don't own a set but have tried them.

When I gave them a go they were pretty good, certainly they stabilised the image to a noticeable degree.

Not sure where the 18x's lie in the range.

When I tried there were 3 in the range and the 2 with the smaller magnification were the better, the one with the most magnification didn't perform as well. I think that the max was 25x, these were good but didn't match up to the other 2 options.

Bit of an odd shape. However they impressed enough that I considered getting a set but went for the less expensive "standard" format binoculars.

I think at the end of the day any binoculars above 10x50 are better supported for Astronomical observations, image stabilised are no doubt very good for terrestrial use and I am sure having said that someone will say otherwise, they are, however, very expensive, the ones you quoted I believe are over £900, if you are going to consider spending that much I would, IMHO go for quality optics instead :)

I have some 15x50is too and think they are great. I can hand hold them long enough, and the stabilisation really does help. It eliminates the high frequency jitters so you see more. It still helps to rest on something or to observe from a sun lounger for example but they give me the best views I've had through bins.

I tend to agree that x 18 would probably be over doing it and they may not be as good but haven't tried them. Well worth hunting around on the web, prices vary significantly!

Stu

I have 12x36's and they are excellent (for birdwatching).

The only thing which bugs me about Canon binoculars is why does the 18x cost £200 more than the 15x when the only difference is the focal length of the eyepiece?

As far as holding them goes, if you tuck your elbows in against your chest, as long as I want. If I try to free hold them, the weight becomes a problem after about 5 mins.

My fave is to lie on a sun lounger and just sweep around the zenith - I can pass away a couple of hours doing that.

Regards

Rob

Archived