SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

murky mirror!!

ok tonight is the first time the dobs got properly dewed up, i always give a second check inside after bringing the telescope inside maby half hour later..just for peace of mind that a spider hasent crawled in or something...

my mirror is really murky/misty :)

do i leave the cap of and just let it dry off? not much else i can do? is this normal??:)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite normal. I leave my scopes capped and let the dew evaporate away at it's own pace. Others leave theirs uncapped. Not sure if it makes much difference - the main thing is to resist the urge to wipe !

this is what it looks like, its really misty/and then theres an even worse patch on top:( it acctualy looks worse in person than the picture shows.

Im glad its normal though, should the mirror return to normal if i just leave it alone? il put the cap back on and try and forget about it

P1020631.jpg

You can safely use a hair-dryer. The mirror won't crack (even on high heat) and the dryer doesn't seem to blow significant dust into the mirror. I dry mine all the time. As soon as they come in through the door the dryer comes out. The ideal situation is to store the scope in a dry, unheated, porch or basement. Then you won't get condensation at all. The condensation isn't a problem in itself, but mirrors do get dirty faster if they are repeatedly exposed to humidity in this way. In the long-term, cleaning with distilled water and perhaps lab-grade ethanol will get rid of gunk thus accrued. You don't need to use cotton or otherwise rub the mirror. Don't worry about cleaning for at least another few months.

Dew-shield won't stop what you saw: that stuff formed because you bring a cold object into a warm room. Basically, the telescope's tube is already functioning as a dew-shield for the primary. However, the dew-shield may delay dewing of the secondary when you're outdoors and it's humid.

I give mine a wipe with a rung out dischcloth and a very small amount of turps.

is there any scratches on the mirror most mirrors do have a resin layer(all and most sky watchers have this) have you been drinking the turps can you post a pic of you mirrors ?

i joke of course

is there any scratches on the mirror most mirrors do have a resin layer(all and most sky watchers have this) have you been drinking the turps can you post a pic of you mirrors ?

Been hard to focus a lot lately, howver Ive heard WD40 is very good at rejuvinating stuff and getting rid of grease etc etc etc etc.

So im off to B&Q ( or perhaps Wickes, or Jewson ( if they are open around our way) to buy some ( or own bran equivalent ) )

Been hard to focus a lot lately, howver Ive heard WD40 is very good at rejuvinating stuff and getting rid of grease etc etc etc etc.

So im off to B&Q ( or perhaps Wickes, or Jewson ( if they are open around our way) to buy some ( or own bran equivalent ) )

I hope there are no newbies reading this and not getting the Sgl humour :)

The hairdryer advice is ok, but not absolutely necessary.....ignore the rest

NO :) I never clean anything that what the wife is for.:)

I wish, If a jobs worth doing do it yourself!!

I find an electric polishing mop (10inch) and a bit of rubbing compound does the trick :cool: or even good old T-Cut!!

oh but rub it all down with a bit of 1500 wet and dry first!! lol

Archived