HEQ5goto keeps re-setting:o(

Andrew INT

I set my scope up tonight since it is such a clear night here in Lincolnshire. I was unable to align since the handset kept going back to the initializing start-up. The telescope was covered in dew so I hope this was the problem and not something wrong with the hardware.

Has any once else experienced this?

Any ideas welcome!

Update: I tried the mount again this evening and things still kept cutting out. I think its either the power lead from the power-tank or the jack on the mount itself. I'll have wait and see what OVL suggest. If its not the lead I might have a go at swapping the jack-socket over from the old (pre goto upgrade) unit.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with the mount. Does the LED on the mount flicker when you have these problems ? - If the LED remains lit constantly, and the motors cut out then the chances are that it's a problem with either the control board inside the mount, or the connections between it and the steppers.

I've just had an EQ5 synscan unit replaced on my EQ5 mount ad there was problems with the DEC motor buzzing and running backwards... the replacement did the same thing... I stripped down the housing around the connectors and notes how flimsy the connectors on the back were, and as these wires were moved the DEC motor would run normally then buzz again (accompanied by a small arcing on one of the pins). A bit of tape and the DEC motor runs fine

The LED flickers at the same time. If I touch the jacksocket it will sometimes cut out (or as the scope slews and the lead moves)

I'll order a new lead and see if that solves the problem. If not, I'll swap the socket over from the pre-goto unit I still have. With luck they will be the same type.

Its only been a couple of nights and I already miss setting up! :icon_confused:(

Does sound as if the problem is with a loose fitting connector. Assuming the mount is out of warranty, you could try removing the panel from the mount and solder a couple of wires directly to the cable on the back of the socket, and then connect that directly to a suitable 12v power source. If that works then you know the issue is with either the socket on the panel, or the plug on the lead used with your powertank.

• 4 weeks later...

The saga continues...

I have sent a few emails to OVL (who were really helpful). They suggested I power the handset direct from the power tank to check this worked - which it did, hinting at a fault in the mount.

I soldered in a new power socket onto the driver board, but the fault was still there. I have a feeling that the board may have a crack in it- it was held pretty tightly into the unit.

Anyway, OVL have just sent me a new unit (in white this time since the HEQ5 has discontinued). I'll find out later today when I get home if this has solved the problem.

Archived