Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 18/11

oldfruit

A bit of a struggle to get a decent image today as the seeing is not so good but with the GRS on show how could i resist ;).

Not as good as some of my other results (you gotta take the good with the bad) but i am reasonably pleased none the less and i am sure that the conditions will improve sooner or later.

Thanks for looking. Please see post below for improved images taken about 1 and 1/2 hours later.

Mark.

post-20855-133877694869_thumb.jpg

post-20855-133877694875_thumb.jpg

Well i left the scope out after the above images and went back out after about an hour and a half, the conditions had improved a lot so hope you find these better than my above images.

Taken with Helios 8 inch newtonian, 3x tv barlow, spc900 and revelation ir filter.

Again thanks for looking.

Mark.

post-20855-133877694956_thumb.jpg

post-20855-133877694963_thumb.jpg

post-20855-133877694969_thumb.jpg

Those last ones are VERY nice Mark :)

Hope you don't mind me suggesting a slight scale increase. You appear to be operating at just over f20 and I think bumping it up to f23-f27 will really help in the detail stakes (seeing permitting :) of course)

Those last ones are VERY nice Mark :)

Hope you don't mind me suggesting a slight scale increase. You appear to be operating at just over f20 and I think bumping it up to f23-f27 will really help in the detail stakes (seeing permitting :) of course)

I don`t mind any suggestions at all, after all it is those suggestions that have got me to this point where i am now. As sussested in a previos thread i am using an empty barlow tube as an extension on the end of the tv 3x barlow. I am not sure if maybe i should be looking at using a 4x or 5x image mate or something like that. Santa is coming soon so who knows:D:D.

Mark.

I have a project underway to determine maximum capture times before the rotation of Jupiter becomes evident. It's way too early too tell what the results will be, and I would like some really good seeing to be able to make sensible and sound decisions. So far I only have two samples captured @ 30fps, in perhaps 6.5/10 and 7/10 seeing and don't consider this to be enough data.

But in spite of that, early analysis suggests that there is no practical difference between 2min, 3min, and 4min captures in the above conditions. In fact one of the 2min results was less sharp than it's 3min, and 4min counterpart :cool: I suspect that this was due to there being less sharp frames available in the 2min interval.

The captures were made with an 8"(200mm) Newtonian at f22.7 which is a little longer FL than what Mark is currently using.

Personally I would have no hesitation in recomending 4min captures for his setup, although I suspect that under ideal conditions there may be a case to drop to shorter times :). I could also be wrong, and the following is not directed at Mark. But who really cares, for goodness sake just step out of the comfort zone and try it. I promise your camera won't melt down or explode :). At worst you get to delete some avi's and at best you could get an improvement in your image :) And it doesn't even take much effort;);)

I may just try that tonight out of interest as the sky is currently clear. 3 mins or maybe more as well as my normal 2 mins as i too would be interested to see the results. I am assuming that folks with better equipment and higher resolution would find it more difficult to do longer captures due to rotation or is that not the case?

Normally under Ideal conditions with all telescopes at the same focal ratio the smaller telescopes will have a larger window in terms of limiting capture time. This is a direct relationship, so a telescope with an objective twice the diameter will be limited to half the time in theory.

Verry nice pics :)

It reminds me I indeed should take more than enough time to let the Scope cool ( I already started to cut down in that department).

Beautiful pics, and without the grain that I usually get (because i need to apply too much wavelets ?)

Jeffrey

Archived