SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If you could ask Brian Cox any question...

palebluedot

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, maybe I was hastey in that remark. In fact I think he is bringing alot of people into the fold of popular science, a good thing,. He just isnt my cup a tea.

Andy

he can be a little droney (is that a word ?) but i think he's breathing a bit of fresh air into science for kids to get interested.

he shows passion,thats what comes across to me anyway.but i can see he'd not be to everyones taste.

It's thanks to Brian Cox that I have purchased a scope.

Whilst I know there are various authorities out there who could present, tutor and educate, Brian Cox conveys the message to the wider audience with great effect. He's easy to understand, uses very little jargon (as near as possible) and gets the message across.

I am not so sure the same can be said of others, who I have often found heavy going.

Question I would ask... Who was your inspiration?

I agree,anybody who can bring astronomy to a wider audience has my vote because it is a hard task.

People who wear blinkers think we are all ancient,eccentric or strange,but he does get the point across very well and may reach younger people in a way that Patrick Moore couldn't.

I know this is all tongue in cheek (and so's this comment to a large extent) but the sorts of things being posted here are the sort of remarks that got the two previous presenters of Stargazing Live a right slating when it was aired!

I'd probably ask him what was the best visual observation experience he has ever had - what and where and what with?

I'd ask:

If it IS proved that neutrinos can go faster than light in a vacuum, would that be a more worthwhile result/by product from the LHC than identifying a Higgs Boson particle? And IF they can go faster than C, then everything we know is wrong, right? So what would be the biggest impact as regards our understanding of the universe size and age wise, if any.

Oh, and PS, how the hell can they measure 60 billionths of a second accurately? Do they have a guy stoked up on black coffee and red bull with a really quick reaction on his stopwatch??? ;)

"how the hell can they measure 60 billionths of a second accurately?"

I think they must have a neutrino clock that tells time faster than the speed of light lol :)

(or is it faster than the speed of time? - dunno - I'm dead confused now! hehe)

I don't know what question I would ask but I would certainly like to shake his hand.

Why is it us Brits dislike success? We don't appear to be able to associate it with hard work and effort.

I think this is only a bit of light hearted fun. I enjoyed both his wonders series.

I also believe there has been an increase in kids doing science related GCSEs. Perhaps some of that can be attributed to him and his enthusiasm for it.

My previous reply was tongue in cheek for sure, but loved both his tv series and do agree with most of the posts here saying what a positive impact he has had being the new face of astronomy/science related subjects. Also as mentioned the extra retail sales alone have made him a very popular guy i would immagine.

Archived