Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon charts - where to buy?

Another thread........

I am looking for advice on the best Moon chart to buy, and where from?

Have looked everywhere, and best I have seen to date is Phillips Moon Map on Amazon (approx. £7.00), but not really practical to use if observing, and reading with a red light.

Any suggestions as usual would be gratefully accepted....

Thanks

Andy, Milton Keynes

Have looked everywhere, and best I have seen to date is Phillips Moon Map on Amazon (approx. £7.00), but not really practical to use if observing, and reading with a red light.

Just use ordinary white light to read a moon map. After all, the moon is a big bright white light and you're shining it right into your eye through a telescope. In those conditions your eye will not dark adapt, and red light is a needless hindrance.

I have the Hatfield Photographic Lunar Atlas but don't think I've ever actually used it (I'm not a lunar observer). Pages seem reasonably thick and glossy so should be able to cope with dewing. Images are inverted so you don't have to try and read things upside down. Amazon have used copies from about £7.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hatfield-Photographic-Lunar-Atlas/

The very best I've seen and used is a glossy paper field book. "Discover the Moon" by Jean Lacroux and Christian Legrand (Cambridge). You can use it with a reflector or refractor (correct orientation). 14 obsering sessions from new moon to full. Each photograph shows what the observer actually sees through a telescope. And directs you to more detailed maps. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't have been able to find lunar domes, through my 10" dob. Pat

Andy, I would recommend MOON OBSERVERS GUIDE by Peter Grego.( Firefly Books ). It takes you through the full moon cycle day by day from new waxing to full and back to new waning. He goes into great detail about what can be seen each night. There is a detailed map for each day and a lot of basic detail is included. I use it in conjunction with a Philips moon map and being paperback it fits easily in your pocket.Its one of those books you can sit and read on those cloudy nights and plan your next observing session.

Cheers. John.

Archived