Narrowband

2 x GRS ??

spaceboy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of interest, when Saturn had a large storm there were images taken by an orbiting probe that showed the storm in stunning high resolution. Is there currently a probe orbiting Jupiter and have any images been taken lately showing this feature?

Looks like the second storm ?? has now gone.http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/164770-big-jupe-grs.html Glad I got the chance to see it with my own eyes but can't help regretting not giving it a go with my SPC880

Yeh I managed to get a glimpse of the GRS in transit last night and the second storm is still there. Si@nite must have processed old data ???? I rushed to get my laptop to have a go at capturing the second storm and by the time I'd got back the skies were clouded over :)

I and several others were at Patrick Moore's house last Friday (18th) and several of us had a look at Jupiter through the 16" fullerscope in his back garden. The GRS with its apparent division into two portions was plainly obvious to me, but it didn't register in my mind as an anomaly, I thought it was just my tired old eyes seeing things. Pity. I should have asked the others about it - or maybe even Patrick?

I and several others were at Patrick Moore's house last Friday (18th) and several of us had a look at Jupiter through the 16" fullerscope in his back garden. The GRS with its apparent division into two portions was plainly obvious to me, but it didn't register in my mind as an anomaly, I thought it was just my tired old eyes seeing things. Pity. I should have asked the others about it - or maybe even Patrick?

After thinking about it that night I done Collimating the next day thinking it was out but no it was ok still, so I said owell it must have been some dew somewere and then see this post today then the penny drop. So you not alone.

Looks like the second storm ?? has now gone.http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/164770-big-jupe-grs.html Glad I got the chance to see it with my own eyes but can't help regretting not giving it a go with my SPC880

I don't feel the second storm is as good as it was when I first seen it but at least I managed to capture some thing.

As I said before, I do not think it is a second storm (like baby red last year), but a case of vortex shedding from the GRS. Still a very interesting feature. Well captured by many. I had a brief look at Jupiter yesterday, but I did not get to see the GRS. Clouds rolled in and I had to cut the session short.

It looks like a giant eddy in the wake of the GRS. I think I have seen these before, but not as prominent as this.

Sorry Michael I didn't realize this was an actual feature when you mentioned it before. When I did a search all I came up with was this........

I agree Shane the seeing wasn't too bad last night and I was able to leave the 3-6 zoom on x200 only occasionally having to back of to x166. I was expecting better images but glad I got some thing all the same. I still think it looked better before but it's still an amazing feature to have witnessed and along with the rest of the activity Jupiter has at the moment.

Did you use your 6" or the big dob ?

Archived