SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 x GRS ??

spaceboy

Hi All

Sorry if this has been covered already and I missed it. It's the first time I have had a proper look in on Jupiter for a month and am I correct in saying there is 2 x GRS. You have the 300 YO GRS and now one next to it on the lower side. Also how big are those barges getting ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;) You will have seen it in the 12" though or are you one of these unlucky fellows who alway catch it on the far side ? I had my 200K for 5 years and never saw the GRS yet the first time I ever used a 200P there it was. I took it as a good omen sold the 200K and got the 250PX which now I'm seeing two GRS's. Well one and something next to it. Waiting on some images to confirm what it is. http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/164021-peoples-jupiter-pics-18th-nov-2011-a.html

No, honestly. It must be a combination of bad seeing or being on the other side whenever I look.

Looking through a Dob, with the image being upside down, I take it the GRS will appear in the lower major equatorial band?

upper belt ;) and believe me you can't miss it in 10" - 12". It is visible in scopes down to 4" so you must have bad timing. There is a link on the forum some where that gives the times of the GRS transit for your location. I'm sure a quick search of the net would bring it up. I use Astromist on my PDA which gives transit times of the moons also.

Local seeing plays a huge part in how much detail you can see. I am on the edge of a small housing estate and depending on whose rooftop Jupiter is over I can either see the GRS or not. It took quite a while to recognise it for what it is as well. Now I know what it is, it is generally easy to make out.

Here is one I did just before midnight. It does look as if there is a second RS just behind the GRS !

Jupiter-17_11_2011.jpg

Is that what you saw?

Dave

That's the one Dave. Another member has posted a pic from the other night (16th I think) and it's not as big as what I'd saw this morning. Your image is more like what I'd seen. I'd say it's not far off the size of the GRS and growing.

Has there been any talk of it at NASA ??

I've been observing Jupiter this evening and this "double spot" feature was very obvious. Marks pic neatly simulates the view I've been getting with my ED120 refractor, including those features in the equatorial zone - thanks Mark :)

Another odd feature is that the 2 bands north of the NEB tonight seemed a single band (as Marks pic shows) but last night, and the night before, were clearly resolved as 2 separate bands with a light zone in between. And yet the overall seeing on the planet tonight is a little better for me than the previous two nights ;)

Archived