SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First Planet Sighting

Prior to Santa bringing me my telescope I have borrowed a friends (Tasco starguide 80). I managed to get on Jupiter without the use of the computer thingy and I think I could see Jupiter's moons - 3 at 3 o'clock and 1 at nine (pinpricks of light). The question is - were they indeed the moons of Jupiter?

I didn't expect to get the buzz that I got - fantastic:)

Hi Duns,

Yes, They sound like the moons of Jupiter.

I really enjoy viewing over a few nights to see how they change position.

Have you downloaded Stellarium onto your computer yet? It's a free download and you can zoom in to see which moon is which. ;)

It's an awesome feeling, eh?

Amazing isnt it?

There are 5 moons visible tonight, fantastic viewing.

I thought that earlier but checked it out in Stellarium and it looked like it was the star HIP 9569. Which kind of disappointed me but then I felt a bit better when I realised that I'd seen a star 665 light years away that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Hi Duns,

Yes, They sound like the moons of Jupiter.

I really enjoy viewing over a few nights to see how they change position.

Have you downloaded Stellarium onto your computer yet? It's a free download and you can zoom in to see which moon is which. ;)

Hi Pastiche

Yes got Stellarium - great tool - never tried the zoom feature I'll give it a go now:)

It's an awesome feeling, eh?

I thought that earlier but checked it out in Stellarium and it looked like it was the star HIP 9569. Which kind of disappointed me but then I felt a bit better when I realised that I'd seen a star 665 light years away that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Really that's cool!!

Is that the one far to the left of Jupiter tonight?

Just checked, it's the one to the far right. that's pretty cool

Archived