Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

claire1985

Best time for observing Leonids?

Just on the very rare chance there's a break in the cloud tonight I was wondering what would be the best time to go outside? And also what direction should I be looking in? Thanks in advance.

Xxx

leo dont rise till midnight the best time is around 4 am ish

After midnight is always the best time for meteors as that is when we are on the side from which they come. Before that the main body of the Earth is in the way.

Easiest way to locate or identify Leo, well to me at least, is to use the pointers in the plough, instead of looking "up" them to Polaris simply go the other way - "down" and therefore away from Polaris, and the next thing is Leo.

According to my data, the peak is at 02 UTC on the 18th.

im off out with my sleeping bag and flask from about midnight for an hour or two ( clouds permitting) !

In my case, the best time will be next year'! Grrrr!

Hope the rest of you are having better skies.

I'm currently lying in bed staring at Jupiter through a half clear sky but out back is cloudy as hell so I'm giving up and staying wrapped up nice and warm :-( maybe next year!! Xxx

Well the skies here are crystal clear. I have been out all night roaming around the skies looking at every single planet, star, cluster and galaxy I can find.

Got to make up for the past weeks of cloud.

It is now 2.15AM and I have yet to see a single meteorite. I have had to call it a night as work time is approaching fast.

Still maybe next time they will put on a better show.

No meteors for me yet. Moon doesn't help much, and now high level clouds are coming in.

i managed an hour before clouds rolled in from the west !!!. no meterite's. doh !

What a shame guys, ;) Well done for staying up.

Total cloud cover here unfortunately.

I dunno, even the free things in life seem to be suffering a recession.

Gutted last night, clear at 21:00, Full 100% cloud at 0100, 0% cloud at 0600.

Typical British weather.

At least it was clear to see Jupiter earlier in the early evening. I'm sure I caught sight of 5 moons instead of just the usual 4 Galilean moons.

Stayed up till 1.30am here, clear skies, no meteors, DOH!

Up till 2am here in somerset. A few clear patches of sky but no meteorites spotted, Jupiter and Mars spotted though. Sirius was wierd last night, flashing blue and red, must have been atmospherics. Good couple of hours until cloud stopped play.

I can't believe i'm so stupid! We was out observing last night and wondered why there were so many meteors. Now i know lol! See around 20ish from around 8pm onwards but settled down around 11pm.

Gutted last night, clear at 21:00, Full 100% cloud at 0100, 0% cloud at 0600.

Typical British weather.

At least it was clear to see Jupiter earlier in the early evening. I'm sure I caught sight of 5 moons instead of just the usual 4 Galilean moons.

Yes, it certainly looked like 5 moons, but I've since been assured that there was a star amongst them

I was out from 9 until 11, with two cameras - one a Lodestar with a 2.9mm c ctv lens on and the other a nikon 5000 dslr with 18mm lens at 1600 iso. The first ran at 10 secs per frame and the second at 30 secs per frame. I got some intersting footage when I converted them to video in Maxim but not a single meteor in sight ! Where were they ?

Mike

Been out tonight admiring the clear skies and low and behold I spotted 6x meteorites within the space of 2 hours, 5 of them around cassiopeia area. Just typical that I went out not looking for them and spotted 6, yet yesterday nothing.

Only spotted one meteorite by chance about 01:00. I was just setting up scope and spotted it whilst waiting for it to cool down, generally I've had ok viewing here tonight.