Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best time for observing Leonids?

claire1985

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After midnight is always the best time for meteors as that is when we are on the side from which they come. Before that the main body of the Earth is in the way.

Easiest way to locate or identify Leo, well to me at least, is to use the pointers in the plough, instead of looking "up" them to Polaris simply go the other way - "down" and therefore away from Polaris, and the next thing is Leo.

Well the skies here are crystal clear. I have been out all night roaming around the skies looking at every single planet, star, cluster and galaxy I can find.

Got to make up for the past weeks of cloud.

It is now 2.15AM and I have yet to see a single meteorite. I have had to call it a night as work time is approaching fast.

Still maybe next time they will put on a better show.

Gutted last night, clear at 21:00, Full 100% cloud at 0100, 0% cloud at 0600.

Typical British weather.

At least it was clear to see Jupiter earlier in the early evening. I'm sure I caught sight of 5 moons instead of just the usual 4 Galilean moons.

Up till 2am here in somerset. A few clear patches of sky but no meteorites spotted, Jupiter and Mars spotted though. Sirius was wierd last night, flashing blue and red, must have been atmospherics. Good couple of hours until cloud stopped play.

Gutted last night, clear at 21:00, Full 100% cloud at 0100, 0% cloud at 0600.

Typical British weather.

At least it was clear to see Jupiter earlier in the early evening. I'm sure I caught sight of 5 moons instead of just the usual 4 Galilean moons.

Yes, it certainly looked like 5 moons, but I've since been assured that there was a star amongst them

I was out from 9 until 11, with two cameras - one a Lodestar with a 2.9mm c ctv lens on and the other a nikon 5000 dslr with 18mm lens at 1600 iso. The first ran at 10 secs per frame and the second at 30 secs per frame. I got some intersting footage when I converted them to video in Maxim but not a single meteor in sight ! Where were they ?

Mike

Been out tonight admiring the clear skies and low and behold I spotted 6x meteorites within the space of 2 hours, 5 of them around cassiopeia area. Just typical that I went out not looking for them and spotted 6, yet yesterday nothing.

Archived