sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Which astro mag!

For a few months I got both the Astronomy Now and Sky at Night (I'm a visual observer).

I decided I liked AN more so I subscribed to it, however also subscribe to S@N because they were running a series on Astrophotography, fully intending to cancel after the series over.

However I think I am now changing my mind and will cancel AN instead.

S@N have just that slight edge on tinkering and DIY mods.

-- Perry Ismangil

I'm an Astronomy Now subscriber.

I like their focus on a scientific topic in each edition with a series of articles, and the observation notes are inspirational.

This is true. If you like astronomy for the science bits then AN would be better. Like the trip to Chile visiting the massive telescope farms there, that was a really nice article.

I buy Astronomy Now (planning to subscribe when I've cancelled my PC mag subscription!)

The main (pretty poor!) reason is that it's what I know from buying it in the early 90's but, as above, I like the linked science articles each month.

I have to admit to never more than flicking through Sky at Night at the magazine stand - I think I should have a look and make a proper decision. Thanks for the push.

Edited by Brent

If I'm interested in slightly "deeper" stuff I'll get AN - if I'm looking for "lighter" material or kit adverts then I get SaN. Sometimes I get both - sometimes I miss them out altogether of a month.

But that's just me - the choice is yours. Both have their merits - a period of familiarisation is probably necessary ;)

Edited by brantuk

I've read them all at one time or another. ISTM S@N and Astronomy Now tend to have much more content dedicated to space exploration and cosmology (i.e. the origins of the universe, discovering how things "out there" work) whereas S&T has more pages about my particular hobby: namely people looking through their own telescopes and seeing stuff for themselves.

These days I don't buy any of them as I find the web contains far better quality information about the things that interest me.

Each to their own.

By membership... the SPA's "Popular Astronomy". Quarterly - A modest effort,

but adding genuine variety (erudition?) to the standard high-street mags? ;)

You reminded me! I picked up a free issue back in Kelling and was quite impressed actually. I was meaning to become a member of SPA, seems cheap enough.

-- Perry Ismangil

Astronomy Now for me. I find the articles very interesting and like the bit in the middle showing what you'll see (clouds permitting) in the month ahead. The science sometimes goes way above my head but I still find it fascinating!

Astronomy Now for me. I find the articles very interesting and like the bit in the middle showing what you'll see (clouds permitting) in the month ahead. The science sometimes goes way above my head but I still find it fascinating!

That is exactly my reason for going with AN.

Personally I quite like Sky @ Night, but the jury is out for me currently; I thought the first issue under the current acting editor was pretty poor, but last month's was better.

The observing guides are pretty useful for me. That is if I ever get clear skies!