Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Converting shed to obs

mert

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey folks

I now have a shed that I would like to convert to an observatory, I want to convert it to have a run off roof, does anyone have any links for info on this please?

Thanks

You need to give us a little more info on the shed you have, its size would be a start, any pictures of its location and design would also be a start.

Converting an existing shed can be full of problems. The biggest one is that they are designed such that the roof forms the main key to the sheds structure integrity. Once you remove the roof the walls become very unstable. You thus need to brace them in some way to maintain the structure. Also the roof will need the same attention which then adds a further issue, in that the walls need to be beefed up to take the additional weight of the re-braced roof.

This is not to say it can't be done, just that often the amount of effort you put in trying to make it work and work well, has to be weighed up against the option of building one from scratch.

There seem to be plenty of converted shed observatories in this forum so it certainly can be done successfully. I went for the scratch built approach personally but it's been a mammoth job and still not quite finished. Don't think there's a lot of difference in the cost by the time you've bought a shed and put all the extra strengthening in.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't take offense, but I don't think you have quite grasped the concept of having an observatory with the benefits of a warm room. The idea is to have everything permanently set up so that you can be observing or imaging without having to worry about setting up things, one of those includes having a decent power supply. What would be the point in coming home from work, the sky is ideal for observing, and you remember the battery in the power tank hasn't been charged, or the laptop battery is flat. Having mains power in the observatory is a must in my book.

Can I ask what your budget is for this project ?

Doesn't your shed already have mains power ? - whats the point behind your question ?

I shall be running an armoured cable from the house to my observatory. I already have an RCD/CB unit installed in my warm room ready for it. This provides separate circuits for lighting and power with individual circuit breakers (in the RCD unit) for the power and lighting. Red and white lights in both warm room and scope room run from dimmer switches. Double power sockets in scope room and warm room with a spike suppressor multi socket unit for feeding computers, mount PSU etc. ATM I have a temporary mains supply provided by a long extension lead plugged in to a power socket with RCD in the sun lounge and it's sockets in the dry warm room.

Edit... Looking at your photos, I'm sure I see mains cables in your shed - do you not have a mains supply in there already?

Hi

Group I had power but it got cut off and taken down as it was unsafe

I will look in to getting it back at the mo I am running with £100 pound each mth play with as I have new born baby and wife not happy spending any cash.

I added some photo of try fix the power subject but not sure if any good and other item I was think to get

post-12827-133877705396_thumb.jpg

post-12827-133877705399_thumb.jpg

post-12827-133877705403_thumb.jpg

post-12827-133877705407_thumb.jpg

This is my personal take on this, again, I mean no offense:

1) - Without links to the solar powered lighting shown in the pictures it's difficult to comment, but I wouldn't waste your time or money on them. As you will be observing at night, you are reliant on some form of battery being charged in the day, and whilst there may be enough power to drive a few lights, it would soon run flat driving a mount and associated hardware.

2) - with a wife who is not happy with you spending £100 a month on such a project, and with a new born baby... that is where your priorities should be. Assuming you still have your heart set on an observatory then may I suggest you save up the cash, putting £50 to £100 pm in a savings account and then in 12-18 months time look at this project again. Your personal circumstances may of changed by then and undertaking such a project may be more acceptable.

3) - If you do save up a couple of grand and in 18 months still want an observatory, then I would suggest ripping down that old shed and start from scratch. Either modify an off the shelf shed, or better still buy the timber and build it yourself.

4) - As for power, you would be better off getting an electrician in to make the mains wiring safe. If that requires a cable from the house to the shed then take advice from the electrician on what depth the cable should be, and dig that yourself, leaving the electrician to drop the armored cable in, and terminate either end. If you get quoted more than £300 for that (assuming your house isn't miles away from the shed) then shop around for a better quote.

Is your home freehold or leased. If the later then you will need permission from the owner / landlord to make any changes. If freehold then have a long discussion with your wife about what you want to do. An observatory isn't cheap, even a basic shed will set you back £200 - £400, then you need to modify that, and install power. - £600 - £900 would be the minimum investment. If you search through the DIY observatory section you will find several well made ROR observatories with decent warm rooms... most of these cost in the region of £1200 - £2000 to build and equip (not including the scopes) - That's the cost of a decent holiday in Spain for the three of you, or a few years worth of nappies :)

Just quick thoughts; Is there room to split the roof keeping the end near the door, other half rolls away from or over. A few sheets of ply screwed to the walls inside will stiffen it all up. A simple cable reel run from the house will provide power (via rcd). You will need to mount the scope/pier/tripod on something better than the shed floor (assuming it has a floor, what are you thinking of putting in there?), security can be another worry.

JCJC's dad

• 3 weeks later...
Hi group

I try to make this old shed in a telescope base. So I trying take the roof off so I can move it side ways if any in Enfield area like to help let us know

Do you have a Police cone in your garden??? :p:icon_eek:

Archived