SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello to all @ SGL a newbie with "a new angle" on telecopes

radiostationx

Hello to everyone @ Stargazers Lounge.

There is a wealth of information on this forum which is very useful for me as a newbie.

I was advised to drop in here by Steve @ FLO.

I am looking for an 8 inch dobsonian scope.

My use for it is a slight departure from the norm.

I want to use a telescope in the middle of the day !

I placed a technical enquiry with FLO with Steve regarding my use for the scope and I think he would admit it was “a first” for him.

He thought I should join SGL to gain more knowledge of telescopes of which I know nothing at all.

He also thought that the members of SGL may find my angle on the use of a scope interesting so here goes.

Special thanks to Ed @ Harrison Telescopes (I was “a first” for him too)

Both suppliers above have impressed me with their product knowledge and have been extremely accommodating with their time…Thanks very much chaps.

My hobby is aviation photography.

I wish to photograph aircraft not at an airport or airshow when taking off and landing (that is plane spotting) but when they are just a visible dot perhaps 10-20km away !

Photographing Aircraft at cruising altitude is an extreme challenge.

This is known as extreme spotting or contrail photography.

There is a lively group of enthusiasts in Poland, Belgium etc but the hobby is starting right here in the UK also.

Anyway that’s me, and I am in the market for an 8 inch skywatcher skyliner 200p to begin with.

I will be picking the brains of SGL members if they will be so kind, especially in relation to astrophotography/ slr camera connection possibilities so please bear with me though as I am very capable with a camera/lenses etc but a real newbie telescopes and the like.:eek:

Steve thought you may like to see some samples of just what can be done, he seemed to be very impressed.. so I have provided a link below to these and at the foot of this page are some photos of the users and their equipment. Maybe other members of SGL who have an interest in aircraft may take this up when they find themselves waiting for darkness to arrive who knows !

Airliners in Flight - ExtremeSpotting.com

Regards

radiostationx :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi RSX and welcome to SGL :D

There have been one or two interesting shots here of things like a plane flying through the moon, the International Space Station tracked with a manual dob, and a 747 flying through Andromeda galaxy.

You'll certainly get plenty of advice on how to pick a scope and connect a camera to it. All the best and enjoy the forum :eek:

Many Thanks Indeed brantuk and MorningMajor for the welcome.

I spent many hours digesting very interesting posts(a lot of them way over my head) on SGL before registering .

It is refreshing to find that this forum is very welcoming to those who are new to the equipment and a great emphasis is placed on encouraging younger aspiring astronomers/ new blood.

Well Done.

Thanks for the warning swamp thing :eek:

Fortunately, my back garden viewing spot is north east facing.

Whilst this is a disadvantage for sunbathing :D, its a great viewing window/direction for transatlantic aircraft spotting:icon_eek: !

Cheers for the welcome.

Why an 8 inch dobsonian ?

I have 6 Nikon digital reflex cameras and a fair few bits of glass to stick on them accumulated over 30 yrs.

I wanted a long telephoto for my purpose but alas the nikkor 1200mm f11 lens is hard to find as only 300 were ever made.

I have searched ebay but it seems I have not enough funds anyway as the retail price was over £85,000 each.

I think the sywatcher skyliner 200p with specs of 1200mm f6 will suffice at £300 !!!

Hi Radiostationx,

I think the aircraft on the images generally shown here are accidental.

It might be refreshing to see someone actively seeking these out!

Hi ScubaMike

Someone not too far away from you,(Leeds) is already partaking in this hobby... not accidentally

contrailspotting | A Blog for tips, tricks and trips out with your scopes

There is a link on the page above to a typical scope setup for contrail photography and links to upper airway (aircraft road atlas) maps of the UK ..The UK is a busy place for high level aircraft transiting our airspace for places far and wide and some airways will no doubt cross your location in the UK wherever you are.

And another user with a slightly more detailed write up with lots of photos in Belgium

http://www.skystef.be/contrail.htm

Hi,

First posting for tech help with nikon dslr cameras posted

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-cameras/163464-attention-nikon-dslr-users-your-help-needed.html#post2025198

Hi damnut,

Ah yes an SCT was a consideration, also a mak but i would need a serious tripod (more than my current manfrotto 055) to support it.

I get the focal length, a much larger aperture, plus a mount for £300 with a dob.

Archived