sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Because in Astronomy half the people are more interested in the equipment than the observing, just read some of this forum to see what I mean.

People will always like equipent, and this is a new piece of kit that people can debate if the Joe blogs 1.25 inch serial b is better than the 1231mxyy in reducing the foo foo angle of the herdy gurdy.

Edited by che guevara

For what it is worth, here is may take on electric focus.

I have found with some scopes, at high magnification, the focus is very tight. Tiny movements making the difference between in and out of focus. Also the image can shake significantly while adjusting because of the forces on the scope. This is especially difficult with cold shaky fingers.

Three options then.

1/ Make the mount more sturdy. This can involve upgrading to a very expensive and heavy mount, different dovetail, etc. This does not lend itself to carrying to remote sites.

2/ Replace the basic focusser with a posh one that has fine & coarse knobs. A two speed focusser may also be inherently better built than the factory fitted model. This usually involves taking the scope apart and drilling new holes. Some do not wish to do this. Especially on newish complex scopes.

3/ Fit an electric focus unit. Sometimes you cn simply remove the existing focus knob and bolt on a motor drive unit. No image shake from shaky fingers. Mount weight not increased.

All options will lighten the wallet. But my preference is for option 1 or 2.

Because, with shaky, wobbly mounts, finding a focus sweet spot may be close to impossible, taking even couple of minutes, which is really annoying! So it is more of a precausion agains having your head burst with anger like an overboiled sausage, rather than gadget fever.

Because in Astronomy half the people are more interested in the equipment than the observing, just read some of this forum to see what I mean.

People will always like equipent, and this is a new piece of kit that people can debate if the Joe blogs 1.25 inch serial b is better than the 1231mxyy in reducing the foo foo angle of the herdy gurdy.

Its waaaaay to early to make me laugh like this just did.

Al

Edited by alowen

If you are controlling the telescope and cameras from a computer sitting indoors with the scope outside then it's a bit inconvenient to have to go outside to re-focus every time you change object.

Motorised focusers can be controlled by computer as well :D

Because, with shaky, wobbly mounts, finding a focus sweet spot may be close to impossible, taking even couple of minutes, which is really annoying! So it is more of a precausion agains having your head burst with anger like an overboiled sausage, rather than gadget fever.

Above goes for me too, well said assasincz. :D

Edited by Dai150PL

It saddens me to agree to a point. I can understand some members wrapping their OTA in vinyl if the tube is shabby and want to cover imperfections but just because they don't like the colour :D But surly if it's astronomy kit your collecting then that's part of the hobby also ?? I'm always on the look out for kit that is going to help enhance my viewing experience and Autofocuser's are great for tweaking the focus on an object with out having to deal with vibrations.

.....Because, with shaky, wobbly mounts, finding a focus sweet spot may be close to impossible.....

And, of course, if you are interested in imaging, as are a lot of folk here, getting the focus right is absolutely critical.

That's a reason for having a focus lock (a screw on the focuser) not a motor. May make sense for imaging, but in visual use the accomodation of the eye can change during a session, so the focus needs continual adjustment - by hand, motor, personal assistant, slave, whatever.

I expect there are motorised focus locks as well: perhaps a small mechanical hand that turns the locking screw by remote control, having been pre-programmed by the owner who can watch it all on TV indoors while planning the next purchase.:D

Edited by acey

Ha.. very topical. I have in front of me a SW Auto Focuser & DC Focus controller to try & fit this weekend. I'm hoping it will make my imaging set up easier with less running around... :D .. I'll let you know

Motorised focusers are extremely useful in imaging....not only, combined with the right software, can you get absolutely perfect focus, but you can also keep it perfectly focused over a long session by using temperature compensation.

As you get a readout of the exact focus position, this can be really useful visually at starparties.

At SGL4 I took my big meade along, complete with a robofocus setup.

Before a quite large group of us started viewing, I put a Hartmann mask on the scope and got everyone to focus it for them, and took a note of the focus position for each person. When that person was viewing, I told the focuser to go to the exact focus position thet was correct for them....more accurate and quicker than just fiddling with the focuser.

Yes Che.....some people just like gadgets, but a lot of us get the gear to actually use it, strange as this sounds :D

Rob

If you are controlling the telescope and cameras from a computer sitting indoors with the scope outside then it's a bit inconvenient to have to go outside to re-focus every time you change object.

Motorised focusers can be controlled by computer as well :D

I figured rather than cabling things together the affordable Bluetooth interfaces are now easily available.

Shall I motorise the Dob and make it stream the video all night long directly to youtube via WiFi then? :eek: lol