Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dovetail plates question

Epicyclus Dave

Hi there , i am saving up for a new mount (NEQ6 hopefully) and i will be using my old Helios Evo120 refractor 1000mm .

I was wondering which length of plate would be best for the scope .

Is it wise to think of getting a more substantial base plate if i intend to to use a dslr & lens piggybacked on top of the scope ?.

Thanks.

Dave

On my NEQ6 Pro I use an ADM saddle and an 11.5" ADM dovetail plate for my 115mm refractor. They are much more substantial and solid than the SW dovetails and stability is important if you intend doing any imaging. Highly recommended :D

Hi, Dave,

as you found out, a short dovetail bar on a (relatively) light mount meand it will wobble.

So, rigidity is key.

The NEQ6 mount includes a losmandy style puck, that is simple to swap over. Then you can work with the wider dovetails.

For length, I would aim for around 12" long, or more, if you can find one at a good price.

I had a 10" LX90 ota and SW 80mm Equinox piggybacked on an NEQ6 and also tried them on a dual saddle, as Brantuk does, above.

The bit to get right is the balance. Piggybacking was the easiest to balance, but I think the dual saddle worked better.

If you are thinking about the HEQ5, I don't think it takes the Losmandy style puck.

Gordon.

Archived