sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Philips SPC 880 webcam bundle from Morgan Computers

You will need the IR filter as the lens needs to be removed for the webcam to be mounted into your scope. The lens already has IR cutoff but as you are removing it IR will most likely affect any images you take.

BTW to remove the lens, the grey outer ring that is usually used for focussing needs to be removed and I have found that the easiest way of doing this is to get a pair of kitchen scissors, open them and slide them under the lips of the ring. Without closing them, quickly rock the scissors against the housing and the ring just pops right out. It should be undamaged and can be used again if need be. The lens is then unscrewed, and your adapter plus IR filter put back in its place.

For imaging I would also recommend that you try the Non-Raw macro from Etienne Bond's website astrobond.ebrawe

I first purchased the Webcam + Adapter from morgans then after reading up I purchased said filter a few weeks later.

From what I have seen as astrotux said the lens contains a Ir filter.

When you look through a standard eye piece all you can you see is visual light. However when the webcam is connected you use the computer screen for reference while you adjust focus. I have heard that without a filter the Ir does somthing to the focused image thus affecting quality.

At first I was unsure whether or not to purchase the filter from morgans as it looked cheap and didn't know how good it was compared to a more expensive one from else where on the net. However the filter perform perfectly.

I have uploaded a video to You tube showing how effective it is using a standard tv remote as a demo

When you receive the webcam dont worry about the gray focuser when you twist it to remove it. I broke all the tabs on mine.

Kept the webcam lens and I just screw it back in when finished with it (you can still use it as a normal webcam anytime you want).

When the original lens is removed the CCD is exposed to the environment and vulnerable to dust Some people screw the adapter in and then use the filter as a dust cover.

Then the fun begins how to turn video in to pictures. A little hint Sharpcam or wxAstro Capture and registax all three programs are free to download.

regards

Andrew

Got mine from Morgan too. Took a while to arrive, and they are second hand not new btw. No mention of this on the site but they work perfectly.

Could not see it mentioned in earlier posts but I would say the filter is essential to stop dust getting onto the CCD.

BTW they charge £2 or so for flashing and it is really simple, work out if it is cheaper to buy the bits separately from Morgan then flash it yourself. It was when I bought it a few weeks ago and make sure you get the 1.25" adapter as well as the filter. Then enjoy :)

Edited by tuxzek

Hi,

I recently ordered the complete webcam set. I did not think it was worth the extra hassle of trying to save a few quid and get the bits separately, I used the 10% code instead!

It took longer to arrive (2-weeks) than the order confirmation order stated due to supply issues (so-they-said).

However once it arrived it did contain all the bits that were necessary to get started. The original lens levered-off with the help of a small kitchen knife. As others have mentioned the IR filter prevents dust and bits getting onto the imaging chip.

So far (and I should point out, I have only had one partially clear night so far!) I have been using "wxAstro Capture" to capture video of Jupiter and the moon. The clouds came over before I managed to work out the correct exposure settings, my images are too bright and over-exposed with the auto-settings. I then used a free-download called Castrator to centre my unguided images as they drifted accross the field of view. Then Registrax to create a final image.

I have a long way to go before I get anywhere near like some of the other images here but so-far-so-good.

dag123

Hi,

The clouds came over before I managed to work out the correct exposure settings, my images are too bright and over-exposed with the auto-settings.

dag123

dag123

try using the 'colour non-raw' macro in your SPC900 ( astrobond.ebrawe- details can be found here ). This programmes the internal FLASH of the webcam with different settings to the factory standard. When you have acquired your target using the auto settings, initiate these by hitting 'restore to factory settings'. I know this sounds a bit strange, but you will be restoring to the non-raw mode settings instead of the original factory settings.

I don't know what scope you are using, but here is a picture of Jupiter taken the other day with my modest Celestron 130 EQ.

Thank you AstroTux, the scope is listed in my signature, the same as yours but without the motor!

I'll take a look at this "macro" you mentioned. I guess I can use your picture here as a target to at least equal!!!

dag123

Got mine from Morgan too. Took a while to arrive, and they are second hand not new btw. No mention of this on the site but they work perfectly.

I bought a couple from Morgans 2 months ago and they appeared to be brand new to me. Maybe the stocks are running out due to high demand and they are sourcing from somewhere else? Anyway - as long as they work you can't go wrong for the price :)

I bought a couple from Morgans 2 months ago and they appeared to be brand new to me. Maybe the stocks are running out due to high demand and they are sourcing from somewhere else? Anyway - as long as they work you can't go wrong for the price :)

Yep price is very good. As with others here it took almost two weeks to arrive, supplier letting them down. I only noticed it was second hand or refurbished due to the dust accumulation on parts of the webcam, a tell tale sign of refurbishment. Still it works really well in daylight as yet have not tried any night sky work. But some really good tips here, thanks to all.