Narrowband

Where are you all??

Gottzi

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cgarry NickW and Russ.Will - I'm cambridge myself :D. Kind of the other side of cambs, down the A10 towards royston, but my girlfriend lives near to cottenham so I'm there a fair bit too!

Perhaps when the skies get a bit darker you lot can show me how these telescope thingys work then eh? :p.

Ginger

Hi Geesus (lol) sounds like a plan. New to all this myself. Just taken a quick look at the DIY camera... what you havent said or perhaps Ive missed it in my skim read is how well does it work? Any screen shots?

I'm in Peterborough. We're supposed to be the lucky ones in East Anglia - supposedly a rain shadow, but doesn't feel like it!

If anyone knows any good dark sky areas near Peterborough please let us know as we haven't found a decent one yet :)

Not really, but the fens to the South/East are your best bet.

Cgarry NickW and Russ.Will - I'm cambridge myself :D. Kind of the other side of cambs, down the A10 towards royston, but my girlfriend lives near to cottenham so I'm there a fair bit too!

Perhaps when the skies get a bit darker you lot can show me how these telescope thingys work then eh? :p.

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Always good to know more local astro people. I'd be happy to meet up, though I don't see any end to this cloud and rain just yet!

Cheers,

Chris

Hey - I had a quick look but it all looks very posh... they're based in the centre of cambs too, so must be awful for LP!

It's possible that they have meetings at a less polluted spot, but I can't find any info of this & might only be during the colder months!

My webcam works pretty well indeed, I'm really happy with it :).

If you take a look at my Blog there's a couple of youtube links - my first test, and then one at a better resolution and in colour etc.

I've bought a couple more to take pictures and make a How To guide with, but I have a feeling I'll have more than I can use (i'll keep one as a spare) and these might end up on ebay :S.

Hopefully we can work out a slightly dark-er sky spot and have a little mini-meet in the cambs area. would it be worth starting a new thread for anyone based around cambs? Let me know and I'll start one up if there's enough interest!

Hope the skies are clearer with you lot, because mine are horrible.

Ginger

• 2 weeks later...
Hey - I had a quick look but it all looks very posh... they're based in the centre of cambs too, so must be awful for LP!

They meet at the IoA which is on the western edge of Cambridge, out on the Maddingly road, just off the M11, no where near the centre. If you have had a look then you would know this.

They are able to use the IoA facilities so yes they have the ability to use the lecture theatre but that is just plain sensible and makes a meeting a comfortable and well run event. If there facilities are available it makes sense to avail oneself of them.

Hi Ginger,

Always good to know more local astro people. I'd be happy to meet up, though I don't see any end to this cloud and rain just yet!

Cheers,

Chris

Central Cambridge, complete with my own personal sodium lamp at end of garden.

Like to try observing without a bright yellow glow.

So far tried the Gogs, which are alot better, but not convinced the drive is worth it.

Any other dark sites close to Cambridge?

I'm right in the centre too.... Surrounded by sodium lamps :(

I've set up just south of Duxford and the sky was much darker than Cambridge, nice spot quiet field not visible from the road.

Wicken Fen area looks darkish too, but I wouldn't be keen in the car park there at night on my own.

I've scouted around Wandlebury but not found a good site there.

Anything within 10 mins of Cambridge would be great. A lot of the possible places I looked at would make me feel fairly unsafe at night.

I'm right in the centre too.... Surrounded by sodium lamps :(

I've set up just south of Duxford and the sky was much darker than Cambridge, nice spot quiet field not visible from the road.

Wicken Fen area looks darkish too, but I wouldn't be keen in the car park there at night on my own.

I've scouted around Wandlebury but not found a good site there.

Anything within 10 mins of Cambridge would be great. A lot of the possible places I looked at would make me feel fairly unsafe at night.

Did find a reasonable spot up at Wimpole Hall. Takes me about 20 mins to get there. Skies are a definite improvement (not difficult by comparison with my garden).

Did go up a few times last year until a group of "doggers" turned up.

Sort of put me off- maybe it is worth trying again?

I am wondering if we could get permission to go onto some farmland or on to Wimpole Hall grounds or some such if we say we are the SGL-Cambridge group; perhaps have a regular slot or something? Seems to me there are several (obvious) issues:

1. Being out with expensive kit on your own could be risky

2. Finding a central location where a number of us could meet - reduces point 1.

3. Finding a location big enough (for more than one person) and dark enough with sufficient parking

4. Has a pub not too far away for pre-starwatching drinks and food

I am out north west of Cambridge... I will start to look out for sites over this way

Archived