Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where are you all??

Gottzi

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad my thread has got all the East Anglians chatting and making arrangements, I knew you weree out there, unfortunately since I posted this my wife has had breast cancer and will b unable to make any meets for a while, but keep talking guys and hopefully I'll meet up with some if you in the not too distant future.

Clear skies to you all

David

I'm also loving the Look East entry requirement for the group :)

While i still have "Vacuum" status at the moment i'm hoping to be more active and get along to a meet of there are any.

I live in Huntingdon about 20 miles north of Cambridge but also have family in Ipswich so travel between the two randomly but quite regularly so anywhere along the A14 between Cambridge and Ipswich would suit me. If there was a pub near by all the better :)

I have been to a couple of talks at the IoA in Cambridge and would recommend anyone goes along to a Public Open Evenings if your in the area on a Wednesday night.

More info about them here Public Observing - Talk Schedule 2011-12 | Institute of Astronomy

Gottzi - Sorry to hear that news, i hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a tiny village about 6 miles NE of Cambridge, near the steaming metropolis of Cottenham. I noticed, on the Google map of members, that there's at least a couple of members within a couple of miles of me. I also work in Braintree (really must make contact with NEAS) and would be interested in meeting up for observing sessions.:)

Out of interest, what's with the requirement for a village hall or some such?

Russell

I'm in a tiny village about 6 miles NE of Cambridge, near the steaming metropolis of Cottenham. I noticed, on the Google map of members, that there's at least a couple of members within a couple of miles of me. I also work in Braintree (really must make contact with NEAS) and would be interested in meeting up for observing sessions.:)

Out of interest, what's with the requirement for a village hall or some such?

Russell

Hi Russell,

I am actually in Girton, so pretty close to you.

Cheers,

Chris

Rampton (for that is the speck on the map) isn't too bad, as there's nothing south of me, but the carbuncle of Oakington some two miles distant. I imagine Hardwick to be much the same, unless you're in the middle of The Limes. Girton must be a challenge though?

Where do you two chaps go for a decent dark site?

Russell

Hi Russell,

Yes Girton is a bit of a challenge, well the sky to the south is anyway. I did spend some time looking for a local dark site, but never managed to find one. So how is Rampton to observe from?

Cheers,

Chris

I am at the edge of the limes so its actually pretty good

I can see all ursa minor stars so i cant knock it, i dont have light polution for say but i lose dark adaption easy dur to local light from houees and cars

I go to the paxton pits with the st neots group and thats pretty good sky wise, not perfect but decent for the area

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Bit delayed response to this side of the forum! I am also a near Cambridge bloke, near the services on the A14 guys. I have a dark site that is pretty good (in my eyes compared to my garden!)

But not a patch on kelling... :)

• 2 months later...

JFlowers and I live in Market Deeping. We've been to the Cambridge IoA a few times now and I really recommend it once they start up again in October. Their open days are fantastic for kids too. If anyone knows any good dark sky areas near Peterborough please let us know as we haven't found a decent one yet :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya everyone

I'm an Ipswich lass! Good to see some other east anglians on here.. Totally new to this hobby and alas no clear skies since owning my telescope ;)

Look forward to chatting with you all

Miaow x

Hiya everyone

I'm an Ipswich lass! Good to see some other east anglians on here.. Totally new to this hobby and alas no clear skies since owning my telescope :eek:

Look forward to chatting with you all

Miaow x

In the same boat with the clear skies. But tonight looks clear ;)

Archived