Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What was I looking at near crater Weigel?

old_eyes

Hi,

I was out last night looking at the moon with my Skywatcher 250px Dobsonian and an 8mm Hyperion. A nice crisp night but the air was a bit wobbly.

I managed a good look at Gassendi which had some really nice shadows from the walls.

Scanning south across Mare Humorum, my attention was attracted by what I think was Schiller, looking like a flattened gash across the surface.

But the really interesting thing was the area beyond Weigel out towards what seems from the maps to be Zacchus. Mostly in shadow, but the higher features illuminated. There seemed to be a distinct 'canyon' running from Weigel out towards the shadowed area and Zacchus. It looked like a very distinct and deep groove with strong mountains on either side.

Can anyone tell me what I was looking at and whether it has a name?

Thanks

old_eyes

Hi old_eyes have a look for this on the net it may help. I use it.

Virtual Moon Atlas

Thanks. I have Virtual Moon Atlas and I use it. It's really good. A version for the iPhone was what I used whilst out observing to try and figure out what I was looking at.

I suspect it was a feature that only appears at certain angles of illumination, but it was a very powerful effect.

old_eyes

Archived