Narrowband

DWB111: Propellor Nebula (Ha)

Uranium235

Tonight, I thought I would try something a bit different, off the beaten track. Whilst browsing a list of nebulas within cygnus I noticed DWB 111. Which is something I didnt even know was there (never used anything except NGC, IC and M), knowing it wouldnt be in the handset - I looked it up on stellarium and found the nearest HIP star to the target.

I translated the HIP star number to SAO using the simbad database. Punched that into the handset, and it went straight to it - just a little tweaking needed for framing. It would be nice to hubble this one :) anyway, ive stored it in the HC so I can recall it next time around.

DWB 111: Propellor Nebula

10x360, 10x450, 6x600 (Ha)

ED80(0.85x), Atik314L+, CG5-GT

Setpoint -10

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=72566&stc=1&d=1320619753

post-18171-133877689169_thumb.jpg

Another corker from your self Rob!

I do like it a lot! I think I've only seen it once before, A lovely whispy neb - not sure why it isn't a popular target? Definitely going on my to do list (when I get a CCD)

Hubble it up!!! :)

Quick question - is there a logical reason for the various sub lengths?

Thanks for sharing,

Michael

Quick question - is there a logical reason for the various sub lengths?

The differing sub lengths refect the amount of time I was willing to give the mount before getting backlash in DEC. As the night wore on and after a bit of fiddling, it got better so by the end of the evening I was up to 10min subs, I could have pushed it to 15 but by then it was getting a bit low in the West.

I guess I was paying the price of trying to "improve" things from an already settled setup that I'd used for nearly a year (by moving/lowering the mount and messing about with the finderguider). Sometimes, its best to just leave things alone!

When the opportunity allows I will start work on the Hubble version (OIII first to get some colour into it), but the weather doesnt look too clever this week, so fingers crossed for the weekend.

Olly, I will have a go at some RGB stars too, thanks for the suggestion :) But it might have to wait until later in the month when the moon has gone. Its a real bind having only a 5 filter wheel since its a pain to switch between RGB and NB filter sets all the time (always the danger of dust).

Edit: For info, here is the place where I first read about this nebula (lots of other unusual stuff in there too).

http://www.elisanet.fi/jere.kahanpaa/astro/MACindex.html

Thanks guys :)

Martin, I must admit it was a bit of an unknown quantity with the gear I have, but it worked out alright in the end :) There is a bit more room in the image for more stretching, but I backed off on that to combat the noise.

Hopefully I can clear this in a couple of weeks becuause today ive been browsing through the VDB nebula list, and it has some very tasty stuff that I'd like to have a go at :) (though it might take some considerable effort in LRGB to get them)

Archived