740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Jupiter 04/11/11 Dob

Mamsoth

I've recently had a long break from my scope as things have been a bit hectic of late, but last night I managed to get out for the first time in ages and bagged a few avis.

Conditions weren't great as there was a nearly continuous cover of thin high cloud as well as smoke from all the fireworks lingering around. I did get a few captures with the x5 barlow as well but its so filthy that the images were unuseable (needs a really good wipe). Not too disappointed with the results considering what I was expecting when I set up.

Equipment used:

SW 12" Skyliner

ATK 2-HS

Watch house EQ Platform

2.5x Revelation Barlow (fl 3750mm)

***Processed in Registax 5.1 (was getting some strange artifacts when using 6) 800 frames out of around 1400***

post-19473-133877688572_thumb.png

post-19473-133877688593_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mamsoth

Thanks guys :)

Just thought I might as well add this one in to, bit bigger and differently processed

Dito !

So 1400 frames (if 10 fps) did you hand guide that for over two minutes ?

Excellent image !

I use an EQ platform for tracking, if I had to hand guide I'm afraid my telescope would probably have already taken its maiden flight out of the upstairs window! I tried it b4 I got the platform and found it to be one of the most frustrating things in the world...ever!! :)

post-19473-133877689392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mamsoth

Thanks for the comments everyone

Great image. Can i pry a bit further? How go you track a 12" dob on an equatorial? Do you have some monster tube rings? :)

Jarvo

The thing is Jarvo it's an equatorial platform not a mount (if you see what I mean), so there's no tube rings needed. I do eventually want to get a decent mount for the Skyliner but that may have to wait for my planned lottery jackpot win (which should be happening any day now :))

If you google Eq platforms I'm sure you'll get a better explanation than I could give here, but in short the platforms more like a revolving table that the Dob sits on

Matt

Edited by Mamsoth

Great images ...

I recently took the dive and made my own EQ platform after much research on my preferred design. I did VNS in the end.

It is truly revolutionary for us 'dob-only' owners!

Compared to hours of 'nudge-wait-capture-nudge-wait-capture', it's a dream.

Tracking 'and' portability. What more can you ask :D

Lee

Edited by lquinlan

Great images ...

I recently took the dive and made my own EQ platform after much research on my preferred design. I did VNS in the end.

It is truly revolutionary for us 'dob-only' owners!

Compared to hours of 'nudge-wait-capture-nudge-wait-capture', it's a dream.

Tracking 'and' portability. What more can you ask :D

Lee

Cheers Lee, it must be really satisfying to have made yours (mine was bought from watch house). If I was slightly better at the old DIY I would have loved to do one from scratch. Bought or made, the platforms are indispensible, I'd recommend them to anyone with a Dob :eek:

Did it take long to build? And was it difficult?

Not that long Matt. Probably about three or four evenings in total, on the dining room table after dinner :eek:

Well, I would not say it was 'easy'. A job for a competent DIY'er I'd say. I'm pretty handy with the tools so just patience and attention to detail required.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/134113-eq-platform-help.html

Definitely not as swish as your 'Watch House' one :D. They do look the business....

I want to add a cut-off micro-switch to mine, which I think yours already has. I will probably tweak certain bits of it as I use it more. I have only used it a couple of times so far. Darn weather !

It has been very rewarding. It's nice to know we are squeezing every last drop of potential out of our dobs ...

Edited by lquinlan

Yeah thankfully mine has got the cut off switch, lucky it does or many a time would my dob have taken a face down nap in the dirt, I would never remember to make sure it was turned off before it reached the end of its tracking run :D...:eek:

Edited by Mamsoth