Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Lincolnshire

Shortland

Hi,

My name's Tom, and I'm from Linconshire. I became interested in astronomy many months ago when i stared up one clear night and wondered what the hell that was all about. I've been using a pair of Celestron 15x17 binoculars all that time but..

I recently saw the moons of Jupiter with them and decided it was high time to throw my lot in and get a telescope, so as of yesterday I'm the proud owner of a Skywatcher dobsonian 200p. I've used it once, with a bright moon and the fog setting in! I saw the bands of Jupiter, the craters within the craters within the craters of the moon, and then i set off to find Andromeda and got lost within a sea of stars i swear were never there before. Absolutely wonderful, though I never did find it.

I look forward to learning from all the fantastic advice you so freely seem to offer, and if I may be so bold I'd like to pose a question now! I brought my telescope in from a rapidly descending fog last night and it was very wet with condensation; is this ok? Should I leave the end cap off to let the water evaporate or anything? Maybe leave it pointing downwards? I worry about water pooling on the mirror. Also, is a conservatory a good home for a telescope or should it be kept all comfortable at room temperature? I don't think it ever drops below freezing in there, but if it did? That is all!!

Thank you very much for your time,

Tom

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the lounge.

Yes leave your scope pointing down when you bring it inside to prevent drips on your mirror.

If you don't already have Stellarium, a free planatarium program that will help you find your way around.

Enjoy your new scope, when we get some clear skies :)

Hi Tom, I have seen it typed in here when you got outside with your scope it takes time to cool down so the colder the room it comes from the quicker you get to use it. well that my logic on the subject, if it wrong some kind sole will come and make it right...

hi tom and welcome to sgl/lounge when i bring the 300p dob in on a night what i do is this ,i use paper towels on the tube and base to get the wet of i then put the tube back on the base leave the cap of and i cut a old pillow case in half and drape that on the end with a bit of string so it doe not fall of always pointing down i never leave the cap off i try and leave it in a cool place in the house

Archived