Anyone using The Sky6 Pro?

Rols

I have been unable to find any reviews or information from people using it during searches of the site, i have a copy i'm trying to get to grips with and wanted to know what was crucial and what was not. the manual is about the capacity of a good encyclopedia.

i'm not sure i have enough years left to get from cover to cover just to find out i could click go..lol

any info links, or tips for quick setup would be nice?

Remember to use Options/Save current options as default/ if you want to save all your tweaks and settings for the next time. If you are an imager setup the FOV settings to show your camera FOV. Remember a FR is added with a right click.

Rols, I used TheSky6 Pro for a while but ditched it in favour of Cartes du Ciel and xephem on Linux, mainly because I wanted to reduce the number of Windows apps I had.

TheSky6 not a bad application really, and looking at the price and hardware requirements of TheSkyX (how old is your PC?), TheSky6 is possibly a better choice.

BlueAstra's advice about saving as default is good, because if you don't you'll tear your hair out upon finding all your mods and customisations reverted every time you restart TheSky6!

I have the TheSkyV6 -SeriousAstronomer version, and gave up with it after many years. It required the $$$$ upgrade to the Prof. version to use the USNO database (down to 18mag)

I now use Carte du Ciel which can access the USNO and many other catalogues.

I use it to control my Tak mount and find it very good. This business of saving settings is new to me. It remembers the key things I need, or so it seems to me.

In any event, it's so much better than Pegasus as supplied with the mount that I'm a very happy bunny with it!

Olly

Oops. I realised after posting that I was referring to Starry Night Pro. Must be old age. I guess the comments could be general to any planetarium software though. One thing I do remember about The Sky6/X is they are reluctant to embrace all things ASCOM. So for Celestron they would only support using the official Celestron protocol. However, there are work-arounds that allow ASCOM to work.

Oops. I realised after posting that I was referring to Starry Night Pro.

If you do things like modify and/or move toolbars without saving the new configuration, everything returns to the way it was before you changed things when you restart. That drove me mad for a while until I finally clued myself in.

One thing I do remember about The Sky6/X is they are reluctant to embrace all things ASCOM.

Yep. The Bisque brothers are strong advocates of the "my way or the highway" school of software development.

I hate to tell you this, but TheSky6 has been obsolete for a few years now. TheSkyX is the current version. The good news is that upgrade pricing is available.

Just like me then, and i'm still working. :D

This all come as part of a package i purchased, i have read around a little and come back to the option that was supplied, i intend to use it with Orchestrate, but this is all a little way off still as i don't have the setup mounted yet, i know a lot people on here will say the Meade is not really useful for photography work but that is what i have to use.

Thanks for the tips on saving my settings lets hope i can get it to function as needed.

Rols.

I use the sky6 even though it's not the most current version.

It does all I want it too, it integrates with eqmod, supports ascom, shows all the catalogues and objects I need and has many more features than I ever use. It also integrates with maxim and ccd soft to do plate solving on the fly if you want it.

My personal favourite is the field of view indicators which allow me to frame and plan targets.

Mine is the serious astronomer edition.

Regards

Rob

Archived