CdC - A couple of questions

swag72

Figuring that I really should use CdC in order to plan my imaging. I don't want it to control my scope. I have a couple of things i can't work out that I hope someone can help with.

1) Can I put in my telescope details somewhere so that I get an accurate fov for my camera? If I want to image with either the 120ED or the 66APO, then that will affect the fov on my Atik, but I can't see where to add this info and how to then incorportae it into my planning.

2) If I want to move the target on so that I can see when it's going to hit the meridian, can I keep the fov box on the target or does it stay in the same place regardless of where the target then moves to?

3) Is there a less clunky way to move around the sky? At the moment I am finding it very hard to just move the sky around a bit.

I am sure there is more, I'm just trying to familiarise myself with it and then I can decide between this or Stellarium.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Can I put in my telescope details somewhere so that I get an accurate fov for my camera? If I want to image with either the 120ED or the 66APO, then that will affect the fov on my Atik, but I can't see where to add this info and how to then incorportae it into my planning.

Setup/Display/CCD display. Input the FOV for your scope and chip in arc-minutes and label it. You can turn them on of off as you wish.

2) If I want to move the target on so that I can see when it's going to hit the meridian, can I keep the fov box on the target or does it stay in the same place regardless of where the target then moves to?

Right click on target and Lock on to target.

If you are using CDC then model your horizon. Well worth the effort!

3) Is there a less clunky way to move around the sky? At the moment I am finding it very hard to just move the sky around a bit.

It can appear to be a bit clunky on that score. Stick with it though - its very good.

Thanks Mick.

I am guessing that controlling the scope would involve some kind of EQMOD interface? Which I don't want to use. I am odd and I'm quite happy to use it for planning etc, but still use my handset on the mount!!

Unless I can connect to the mount with the handset cable and serial converter as I can with Stellarium, then I'm really not too bothered.

3. If you have a wheel mouse, click and hold the wheel and drag the 'sky' around. If you are using a laptop then I think that you can hold down the Shift key and the left 'mouse' button and drag it that way.

Steve

Another one I can't figure out.

I only have the one toolbar on, so not the one that gives me the marker option. If I pick M31 and right click on it, I can centre on the target and lock on it - Is there an easy way to quickly get the CCD rectangle up and be able to scroll through either labels?

Cheers so far folks - I think I'm quite liking this!!

I only have the one toolbar on, so not the one that gives me the marker option. If I pick M31 and right click on it, I can centre on the target and lock on it - Is there an easy way to quickly get the CCD rectangle up and be able to scroll through either labels?

if when you setup the FOV you select the FIV indicator/s you want by checking the box/es to the left. Then check the "Mark centre of chart" box and the FOV indicator will be there all of the time. If you are using two scopes then it isn't much of a faff to select a different indicator is it?

3. If you have a wheel mouse, click and hold the wheel and drag the 'sky' around. If you are using a laptop then I think that you can hold down the Shift key and the left 'mouse' button and drag it that way.

Steve

That's handy Steve, never realised you could do that.

There are also a set of commands to rotate the CCD FOV against a fixed background. If you have set up both a main camera and a guide camera FOV (which is what you'd want if you are using an OAG arrangement for example), you can do the following:

1. Press Shift+S then use the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to rotate both FOVs together - the FOVs changed from red to white whilst this is in operation. Pressing Shift+S again switches off the operation.

2. Pressing Shift+C will activate just the main camera FOV. Again rotate with the left and right arrow keys.

3. Similarly Shift+G will activate just the guide camera FOV - this is handy when planning an exposure when using an OAG that has a radial adjustment for the guide camera.

That's handy Steve, never realised you could do that.

There are also a set of commands to rotate the CCD FOV against a fixed background. If you have set up both a main camera and a guide camera FOV (which is what you'd want if you are using an OAG arrangement for example), you can do the following:

Now I didn't know that. Nice one!

1. Press Shift+S then use the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to rotate both FOVs together - the FOVs changed from red to white whilst this is in operation. Pressing Shift+S again switches off the operation.

2. Pressing Shift+C will activate just the main camera FOV. Again rotate with the left and right arrow keys.

3. Similarly Shift+G will activate just the guide camera FOV - this is handy when planning an exposure when using an OAG that has a radial adjustment for the guide camera.

Excellent - Just what I was after.

.....I am guessing that controlling the scope would involve some kind of EQMOD interface? ....

You won't need any more hardware than you have now, to control the scope with CdC. Here's a sketch of how my NEQ6 is connected (my old HEQ5 was just the same). You just need to install the free ASCOM/EQMOD software and drivers off the net. It's really worth doing. Using CdC as a GOTO using this setup is a dream!

scope_control.jpg

Cheers Luke - Explains nicely. What do I need a gamepad for? And what gamepad do I need? I've got a PS3 gamepad - That sort of thing?

The gamepad basically replaces the handset. You don't need it, but it makes controlling the scope a lot easier. I use an XBox wireless controller, although I have also used a Playstation one and I think you can use anything similar.

Do the controllers need any sort of adaptation or butchering? Or simply plug and play?

Plug and Play. You can configure them in EQMod so any button can do any function. Once used you won't want anything wired ever again.

Absolutely.

It's one of the many fine things about EQMOD - extremely practical and good fun at the same time :)

I really did not get the point of using a game controller before I used EQMOD, but once I had used one there was no going back. I especially like having a game controller button set up to turn the laptop screen off.

Cheers,

Chris

I especially like having a game controller button set up to turn the laptop screen off.

That is actually a good example of the strength of the EQMOD project. A user floats the inspired idea of turning off the monitor from the gamepad and the resident EQMOD code monkey springs into action to make it happen - suggestion to release all in 24 hours.

Even if I say so myself, having Mount, focuser and monitor control all off the same wireless gamepad is rather neat. :)

Chris.

Surely once EQMOD comes into it I need different hardware? From Lukes drawing I thought I'd get away with my handset to PC cable with the adaptor to get from serial to USB.

Can I do what you say with my existing cables?

Sara,

CdC can control your scope. You need the PC connector to the handcontroller, and the necessary telescope mount ASCOM drivers, available from the ASCOM website. (Celestron/ SW).

It works very well.

You can try it before "upgrading" to EQMOD......

Archived