Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Voyager

Deep Sky Eyepiece?

I'm in the process of upgrading my eyepieces for my Startravel 120 & want one for deep sky at a budget of £100.

Wayne

The StarTravel 120 has a focal length of 600mm, though. A 32mm would yield just a bit less than 19x mag in that scope, showing a lot of sky (3.7 degrees) but everything would be really, really small - great for finding stuff but not so great for discerning detail. Personally, at that focal length I wouldn't go below 21mm, but even then it would be fairly low mag, and depending on the AFOV serve more as a finder ep. IMO a nice ep for deep sky with that focal length would probably be something in the 13mm range. I've looked through a 13mm Hyperion recently and it produced nice views, though it was in a slow scope, no idea how would it perform in the f5 Startravel. Fast scopes generally require a bit more of an investment when it comes to ep's, since they're less forgiving of optical flaws. But for general DSO use I'd definitely look into something in 13mm, even 10mm range, with a wide apparent FOV. I'm not sure which 10-13mm eyepiece in the £100 range would behave good in that scope, but hopefully someone here might.

Edited by newman

Apologies, I didn't do the maths! Though it works quite well in my C100ED, mag. 28x, true field 2.5* etc

Well, to be fair it does depend on what the OP really wants to do with it. If he wants wide field panoramic views I suspect your suggestion - the 32mm PanaView - would work great. If he wants to count stars in M13 he might want something with a bit more magnification :)

Disclaimer - eyepeices are very much a personal choice!

I used to own an ST102 with it's original eyepieces.

I thought the 25mm worked well and the 10mm was little more than a dust cap.

Other eps in the scope performed better.

The Hyperion eyepieces are, in my biassed view, excellent for the money.

They offer very good sharp views well across the field.

The big benefit of these (for me) is the long eye relief at shorter FL. This may or may not be a consideration in this case.

A budget silvertop plossl performs very well at <£20 2nd hand - if you are happy with shorter eye relief and lack of eyecup.

Hope this helps.

Well, to be fair it does depend on what the OP really wants to do with it. If he wants wide field panoramic views I suspect your suggestion - the 32mm PanaView - would work great. If he wants to count stars in M13 he might want something with a bit more magnification ;)

I think you are right - there is really no such thing as a deep sky eyepiece. Wide angle and low power is needed for extended deep sky objects like M31 but more power is needed for the more compact objects like small planetary nebulae and globular clusters. I find even my 6mm eyepiece gets used quite a lot on small DSO's.

Within the budget range the Panaview 32mm would be good for the "low and wide" stuff. Something around 13mm would be useful for DSO's that benefit from a bit more magnification. But getting two decent eyepieces might blow the budget a bit :)

Edited by John

I think you are right - there is really no such thing as a deep sky eyepiece. Wide angle and low power is needed for extended deep sky objects like M31 but more power is needed for the more compact objects like small planetary nebulae and globular clusters. I find even my 6mm eyepiece gets used quite a lot on small DSO's.

Within the budget range the Panaview 32mm would be good for the "low and wide" stuff. Something around 13mm would be useful for DSO's that benefit from a bit more magnification. But getting two decent eyepieces might blow the budget a bit :)

Exactly my view. And yea.. two ep's would cover more needs than one. And lo and behold, as with anything in this hobby, you get over budget before you know what hit you ;)

Hi Voyager,

My grab & go is the st120, my ep of choice for medium work is a 2" 15mm 80deg. Cost me £35 used. Also good is the 8mm BST explorer narrower but 75X (and 1.25"). Have longer length 2",the 25mm is also good in the ST 120.

If I had to suggest one I would say get a field of view of about 1 degree. So 50x-60x depending on the eyepiece FoV.

In a 600mm scope that is in the 12mm to 10mm area.

For an F/5 120mm dia scope I wouldn't like to give a definite option. Perhaps the good fall back of the BST Explorers, they do a 12mm offering.

The TV offerings that are within £100 really means only the plossl's.

TS do flat field eyepieces that may be useful for an f/5 scope.

Several do planetary eyepieces.

Edited by Capricorn

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go for Baader Hyperion 13mm

Yup - it all depends on what you want to do - I find a 13mm wide angle great in my f7 appo for the larger objects (nebs and galaxies), but if I want to split doubles or resolve globs I'll barlow it and maybe drop down to 6.5mm or even 5mm.

The Hyperion is a reasonable choice, s/h TV Radians are in the same price bracket (though narrower fov). But as usual - try before you buy to find what suits you best :)

I agree, the 13mm Hyperion would be the good 'safe' choice. Very comfortable ep's. I opted for the 13mm LVW but to be honest it is so close to the Hyperion there is little to choose between the two. Eye placement is more critical with the LVW but a very good sharp ep. Also, I agree, the BST Explorers are incredible ep's for the money.