Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The MOON

ok I have just started reading (Turn left at Orion Fourth Edition)

In the book page 27 "More recent impacts of comets and water-rich meteoites onto the moon may have added one final ingredient to the lunar surface."It go about 1998 found evidence that ice is mixed into the soil in the cold regions around the lunar poles and in 2009 a probe smashing into it."

Confirmed this result ,splashing water vapor.

It go on a bit more on about" Human settlements possible on the moon within the not-too-distant future."

As the moon is not that far away from Earth do you think we ever go back and look into this more as a new home.

I do hope so, it has a lot of potential as a stepping stone outwards.

Much easier to shake out the bugs of space exploration on something only a few days away and within chatting distance. Mars is a much harder prospect in comparison.

In the 70's we thought we'd be there by now :)

Thank for the replie Julian ,

The more time I spend looking at the moon the more i am staring to see , its like looking back in time as this was onces a part of the Earth, it must have every thing we got on Earth its just looking for a clock to start it ticking .As we have been there you would think we have something on Earth to start the clock .

Not sure about the use we would make of the moon. It has the same composition in geological terms but the water present is a very tiny fraction of that here.

As any permanent base there would want the water I cannot see them "mining" it for any use.

As a kick off point for exploration, why fly to the moon land, even orbit, and take off again. Lot of fuel that can be used for exploration.

Cannot see the moon becoming a producer of fuel, insufficent ability to produce any. We rely a lot on chemicals that are easily available to us, oxygen being one. Yes you can get O2 from water but that uses up the water.

Of course we will. Not only will we go back in the "not too distant future", not only will we set up outposts and stations and not only will we have a home away from home, but one day we'll have massive, beautiful cities - easily visible through your scope.

It's not a question of if. It's a question of when. What we need is someone to have the balls that John F had in the 60s to say that we're going to do it, to make it happen. Now we're just dawdling, going from one plan to the other not quite sure of how to do whatever it is that somebody else told us that we want to do. And no more of this 'oh, we can't afford it, the economy's collapsed'. If Star Trek taught us anything it's that that doesn't make any sort of tangible difference. Even so, it's a question of priorities. We manage to fund military spending. We manage to fund pointless and expensive wars in the name of oil, when a fraction of that money could be spend making oil obsolete.

One can only hope that somebody will make a mistake big enough for us all to realise this.

There's a great documentary on this I just watched a week or so ago: Moon for Sale.

Apparently there's a second moon race with not just the US and Russia but China possibly India too. I think the goal is to get there by 2020.

This documentary was the reality behind the excellent movie from last year: Moon, they're after the helium 3.

One enterprising American has even started selling off plots of land on the moon. Quite how he managed to pull this off wasn't explained but seemed to have had quite a bit of success with it.

Wow this is a great documentary ,I been look at the Moon for years way back in the 60s ,I will not say that I will ever see live on the Moon in my life time put I love to come back in a 100 years or so. So thanks you Syntarus and the rest of you for posting. As I never seen the Moon as a dead planet and I think this helium 3 is going to be the fuel to take us to places no man been before.

Not sure about the use we would make of the moon. It has the same composition in geological terms but the water present is a very tiny fraction of that here.

As any permanent base there would want the water I cannot see them "mining" it for any use.

As a kick off point for exploration, why fly to the moon land, even orbit, and take off again. Lot of fuel that can be used for exploration.

Cannot see the moon becoming a producer of fuel, insufficent ability to produce any. We rely a lot on chemicals that are easily available to us, oxygen being one. Yes you can get O2 from water but that uses up the water.

If there was sufficiant water up there not only could you produce O2 for the inhabitants to breath but it will also produce Hydrogen which is a much needed fuel.

I think there are lots of good reasons for going to the moon and making something habitable there. Not everything has to be commercial, although it sure helps.

We should go there and live there because we can.

Like inventing the laser, we'll find lots of good uses for it once we're there. Astronomy is one, maybe power generation, or just a place to construct things. Its much easier to build things in the presence of gravity, we've worked out the details for hundreds of years.

Archived