sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Problems downloading Avistack

altnacraig

I read in one of the posts that Avistack stacking software performed better than Registax, so I've downloaded a copy onlly to find that I can't find a way of opening it! There doesn't seem to be an "exe" file. It looks as if a file called avistack_sav should be doing something, but I can't open it! I'm using Windows7. Any help gratefully welcomed.

How bizarre. I've just downloaded again - Avistack2 - and opened the zip file and there's no "exe" file! There's a collection of files such as IDL70, settings, Avistack2 (36kb) and the biggest is avistack2.sav (4511KB) - but no "exe"! Never mind - I'll stick with Registax....

This is really strange. There's no "exe" file, and I've tried downloading with IE (I normally use Firefox) and still the same problem. The only major file after unzipping is avistack2.sav - and I can't open it; the system can't find a way of opening it. This is the first time I've had problems like this . No difficulties with other downloaded software. Very odd - but thanks for your help

Have you tried double clicking on the 36kb Avistack2 file ?. This should be the executable.

ps The uncompressed windows 32 bit .zip file contains the following:

directories:-

lang

settings

IDL70

files:

splash.bmp

IDL.ico

Avistack2.sav

Avistack2.ini

Avistack2.exe (36kb) the executable

autorun.inf

as2pi.tpl_define.pro

Peter

Edited by Cornelius Varley

Peter

I think I've cracked it! I've downloaded it again (this time on my PC) and there's the "exe" file in all its glory. I've just bought a new laptop (which is where I've been trying to open Avistack) - and I think the problem was that I don't have a Zip unloader program yet for the laptop. This is why it's showing the file as Avistack2. sav on the laptop; no "exe" file. So all is sorted. Many thanks for your patience and help.