Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new 300 flextube

stuartm

dobside.jpg

Just replaced my Tal 1 with this slightly bigger scope, the base is wide & it's a bit tight through door ways, the OTA is easy to move. Seems a lot easier to collimate(big knobs on the back) compared to the Tal.

dobphone.jpg

A couple of cable ties mount my phone for indirect searching with SkEye, it doesn't warn of strage magnetic field placed here.

dobvane.jpg

A pic for people wondering about vane thickness & secondary mirror size.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great scope!

I also have skeye but never got around to test it. How accurate is it?

Not good enough to find object straight away, it will get you in the general area though.

I haven't been up late enough for M42, I had a good look at the ring nebulae.

The moon last night was a wow moment compared to previous nights with the Tal 1.

Jupiter was good but my eyepieces were dewing up so I called it a night, even though the scope had dew on the tube the mirrors showed no signs of dew.

What would be the lowest wide angle ep I could use with this scope? I have a 32mm Revelation from the revelation photo ep set.

Is there any benefit in a 2" piece or am I better off with a 82deg 1.25 ep?

Thanks

Stuart

Nice scope Stuart i love using mine,but one thing you need:either buy the astrozap light shroud or get a camping mat to cover the middle section,i had terrible dew problems on the primary mirror without it

someone on here once mentioned using the black weed suppressing material from a garden centre, that would probably be easier than a camping mat as it could be left attached when the scope is collapsed (that's what I would have done if I'd have known about it before buying my astrozap)

Nice bit of kit Congratulations, might be worth checking out the contrast mods for your scope.i just modded my 10" flex tube looking foward to testing it..

What are the contrast mods?

"Your mobile ain't quite as mobile as it was. That 12 inch ota won't exactly slip into a coat pocket. :)"

Not even if i colapse the tube?;)

I haven't yet had a problem with dew but i would like to do something to protect the primary.

I could get the missus to make something, maybe fabric with velcro stiched along the edges.:)

Thanks everybody for the congrats

What are the contrast mods?

I think post is referring to flocking the ota and possibly a shroud between the two sections to stop stray light entering the tube. Flocking is an inexpensive mod that can improve contrast. I did mine recently with Protostar Flockboard and it has improved the contrast noticeably.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/153480-flockboard.html

also black pen the edge of your secondary mirror. fit a pc fan to rear of primary, line the inside of focus tube with black sticky back felt. fit a shroud and flock the inside ota.i herd you can make baffles for focus tube and ota.

also black pen the edge of your secondary mirror. fit a pc fan to rear of primary, line the inside of focus tube with black sticky back felt. fit a shroud and flock the inside ota.i herd you can make baffles for focus tube and ota.

I had a trial run on my Tal at blacking out the edge of the secondary, also blacked out the focuser tube. Looks alot better, as an added bonus it's much easier to collimate. Before blacking out, the top edge was making it harder to see the true mirror surface.

Archived