SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

advice valuing and selling on sgl

Daftvada

Hi All

Just testing the water at the moment, I may be looking to sell some of my current equipment to go towards buying a 10/12 inch dobsonian. the scopes and mount i have are listed below also i have motors(unused) for the mount and solar filter(unused) for the omni. the ota's have been used maybe 10 times since i bought them and I still have the boxes/packaging they came in.

What im looking for is advice on

1. how do i price/value the equipment up, all in mint condition no marks.

2. how do i post photos onto here of the equipment

3. would it be best to sell as a bundle or split up.

4. and for obvious reasons is it best to arrange collection rather then post.

apologies to admin if i have posted in the wrong section, but it is only advice i require at the moment.

all advice appreciated

regards

GAry

1. Very roughly... if it is pristine, its current value will probably be around two thirds of the current retail price. If the item is no longer continued it will probably be between a half and two thrirds of the new price when it was made (the proportion will drop as it gets older). To get an idea, have a look for similar products around (on here, on fleabay and anywhere else you can think of).

2. Get the advanced editor window open (default for new posts, click on "Go Advanced" if you are replying. Click the "attach" button (paperclip, top row). In each box, browse to the image you want to upload. When you have selected all the files you want, click "Upload". The images will now appear as thumbnails in your post; people reading your post can click on the thumbnail to see the full size image.

3. Depends on what it is! It is worth splitting if something is partiuclarly high value compared with the rest of the things you are selling (e.g. a large mount or an upgraded focuser would probably be split from a telescope setup; a filter wheel and specialsit filters could be split too); things that would normally go together are probably best left as a lot. If you are not sure, give price options for both.

4. As you say, the reasons will probably be obvious. Delicate optics should ideally be collected or sent with good insurance but saying "buyer collects" will limit the number of people who could purchasr the item.

HTH,

J.

James

thanks for taking time to give advice, i appreciate any help. still thinking of which way to go, think if i do sell, i'll sell tubes as ota's and put the mount with the ra/dec motors.

once again thanks for your advice.

regards Gary

3. would it be best to sell as a bundle or split up.

Definitely split (unless they naturally belong together like a 2" diagonal and 1.25" adaptor) ;)

My take on it is this: A telescope setup - irrespective of whether an imaging one, or a visual one, is a very personal thing. It takes time and experience to put one together from carefully-selected components, and one takes great pride in doing so. So why would someone want to buy someone else's idea of what a good setup should be? - a setup with someone else's personality stamped on it?

When I see a For Sale advert with a huge collection of very expensive and very specific gear together, with the words "Will not split!!" I just shake my head in disbelief, close the advert and move on. I feel if someone cares so little for someone else's sensibilities then I probably wouldn't want to buy anything from them anyway... :)

Of course, if you're just talking about a telescope + mount, then as James says, seperate prices plus a discount when bought together seems to be an attractive option.

I also would have said that price wise for items in mint condition then 2/3 of the original price is a good starting point. Depending on age be prepared to drop down to about half the retail price. I would say that anything 3 yrs or older is half the value (or less as it gets older).

Sorry i may just add that the 2/3 price should include P&P.

thanks for that info guys, all food for thought, non of the gear is older then 18 months, infact most is less then 12 months.

many thanks

Gary

Remember...........

if you decide to buy a big Dob then go for a 2nd hand one because you will also just pay about 2/3 of the retail price.

Archived