Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

nev47

eq 5 mount

ive had the mount for about 8 years is it is it time for a strip down and regrease and if so is there a thead on this ive seen one on the eq6 mount but not the eq5

Apparently, the CG5 is identical, apart from a bit different casing, different motor drives and a different tripod. Apart from these the inner workings should be the same (though I think Skywatcher made some revisions on the EQ5 over the years so I'm not sure how different your 8 year old EQ5 is). Anyway here's a link on complete strip down, cleaning, regreasing and then putting it back together:

Astronomy Boy: CG-5 Mount Improvements

Whether or not it's time for a strip down and regrease of your own mount.. only you can tell :icon_salut:

I have read/heard claims that the CG5 is better than the EQ5. Something about bearings rather than plain bush.

Over to someone who has had both apart.

i bought a second hand 1 with the ra motor - i'm just starting this hobby and have been using it without the ra motor - and just currently learning the sky. any tips on getting the ra motor working etc? and any pics on how it should be set up?

Edited by sublime_mick

thanks again spaceboy. I have a cigarette charger adapter plug that fits into the ra socket - is it advisable to run this of a 12v power tank instead of batteries?