Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yet Another NexStar GPS 8 - First Light

Nessy

Just to be quick - it arrived today.....All boxed nicely (thanks very much D Hinds). I then had to try and work out how to fit the box in the new shape S40 and found....it wouldn't!! Had to unbox, flat pack and carefully get it all in the car....then I had to wait for work to finish...

At home I unloaded and took it into the garden - I consider myself VERY much a newbie having only played with a 'Tasco' type scope before and not really knowing where much is in the sky/how everything works etc. Anyway - assembled it in minutes as it all made sense. I then went inside to have a read of the instructions (we never read them first us blokes!) and watch a bit of footy.....

It got dark, I went outside and turned it on....chose the GPS align and away it went. I could hardly see any stars due to the moon and lots of streetlight but I managed to pick out Polaris and Arcturus.....It set and that was it. The handset all made sense and I told it to goto the moon and it obeyed.

My wife then popped out as I told it to goto Saturn...she asked to have a look before me....being the gent I said of-course thinking I would have to hunt around for it a bit, but sure enough there it was in the middle and looking absolutely amazing. She was stunned, when I managed to pry her away so was I. VERY clear and 4 moons easily visible....even in the conditions I was viewing in.

I then played around looking at objects - I could make out M13 which I thought was very impressive seeing the amount of light spewing from the moon.

My verdict - amazing scope at an amazing price. I am very happy with it and now look forward to spending some darker nights with it! Now I have to buy some decent eye-pieces and some gadgets to get the camera onboard....very very happy.

SteveL - I am well impressed by that! I struggled with mine....but perhaps its the poor design of the volvo!

Looking forward to tonight - can't believe the clouds did not roll in last night being that seems to be the norm when a new scope is bought.....now if I can hide the moon!!

Roll on tonight!

hehe... OTA box in the back (seats down) was OK, but the tripod box on the front passenger seat meant I couldnt see much (or anything) out of the left window.

Dont forget to run the compass deviation thingy from the handset, to configure the deviation from north for your location.

Dont forget to run the compass deviation thingy from the handset, to configure the deviation from north for your location.

The what and why?

:)

It calibrates (and remembers) the deviation of magnetic north versus real north for your position. Not having the handset in front of me means I cant tell you where it is hiding in the menus :D

• 2 weeks later...

Aha, NS8s are taking over the forum!! Glad you're happy Nessy. Wonderful scopes, the more you use it the more you'll love it.

Another new user here, must hold the record for not being able to use it with all this :D & :)

had 1 1/2 weeks now, and can't wait to get using it.

I got so desperate when I bought mine that when I saw the moon in a small break in the rainclouds I set mine up in the conservatory and observed through the open door (guessing at alignment etc!) - unusual, but worth it!

Its a great scope, you'll love it.

I bought Michael Swanson's Nexstar guide which is useful reading when its cloudy..

Enjoy!

Helen

skies cleared tonight and all i can say is wow, managed to see :jupiter: and i think 3 of its moons through light polluted and murky horizon before disappearing behind some clouds. :)

8)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still loving mine! FLO has some bits on the way to me so I can dabble with the DSLR on it (prime and piggy) ..... then I guess it's thinking about a wedge .... and hooking it up-to my mac ..... as long as the clouds stay away.....

Archived