SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Planetary scope: Refractor vs Dobsonian

Best planetary scope?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best planetary scope?

• Refractor 5"
    • Dobson 8"
    • Newtonian 6"

My appreciation to all people who voted. The list of equipment updated - see signature below (Yeah!)

PS Space out there is all fantastic, however missus started going on about the space indoors, which has reduced somewhat... :-]

Edited by blusky

• 9 years later...
On 01/11/2011 at 07:32, blusky said:

Ah, was considering the extendable as well. I would guess the light pollution affects the extendable ones more since they are more open, no? Any particular models I should be considering/walking/running away? Thanks...

I would go for the Stella Lyra Dobsonian 8” as for a few pounds extra over the Skywatcher you get a decent dual speed 10:1 Crayford focuser, a 9x50 upright image finder with a 90 degree diagonal and adjustable pivot points for balance placement and a fitted primary mirror cooling fan with battery case. It’s a well thought out telescope and has sold well at FLO. Clear skies and good luck 

2 hours ago, mee said:

a dobsonian is a base not and ota the newtonian is the ota so this vote is nonsence come on people 

Welcome to the forum. Please do introduce yourself in the Welcome section. Worth checking the dates on posts too, this one has been dead for a LONG time!

On 01/11/2011 at 07:02, rightguard said:

This.

Also remember that in astronomy, no matter what those 'frac guys tell you.. aperture is king :icon_salut:

An 8 inch dob will blow away a 5 or 6 inch newt or 'frac, EVERYTIME.

This may be true but I won’t trade my 4” frac for an 8” dob, I’ll gladly buy one  but trade, nope, uh uh no way. There’s something about how stars look in a good refractor. Having said that, I am waiting for an 8” Orion dob 😂

I have a 3”, a 4” and 5” fracs and a 6”:CC and an 8”C and enjoy using them all. All depends on the seeing and what I’m looking at as to which I use. Some nights one of the fracs can show more than the bigger aperture.

If only every night I had perfect  seeing and a 36” dob that might change. 😁😁😁