SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If the Tardis was real?

pastiche

....But I think the dream trip would be somewhere on Earth, 837 AD, just to see Halley's comet at its absolute best....

You could have a look at it in 1066 too, when it was also pretty good and sewn into the Bayeux Tapestry. And also see the tapestry (which of course we know is an embroidery, not a tapestry. Thanks, QI) when it was still new!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could have a look at it in 1066 too, when it was also pretty good and sewn into the Bayeux Tapestry. And also see the tapestry (which of course we know is an embroidery, not a tapestry. Thanks, QI) when it was still new!
I did once go to see the original tapestry/embroidery, on display in the museum at Bayeux. An impressive sight and I can thoroughly recommend a visit if anyone happens to be passing that way! I believe the depiction of Halley on the tapestry is somewhat of an exaggeration, although it was certainly brighter in that year than in its 1986 apparition (the only one in living memory).

But in 837 it is believed to have passed within 5 million Km of Earth, reached magnitude -4 or brighter, and had a tail that extended across 60° of sky. That's the one I'd go for! :)

....But in 837 it is believed to have passed within 5 million Km of Earth, reached magnitude -4 or brighter, and had a tail that extended across 60° of sky. That's the one I'd go for! :)

Fair enough. That does sound mighty impressive! I've seen the Bayeux Tapestry too, and it is really impressive and worth seeing.

The first thing I'll do when my Tardis arrives, is a quick jaunt to the fields and woods I used to play in as a kid, and jump back slowly and see how the area changed as you got further into the past...I'd do it slowly though, and in 1957 I'd go to my parent's wedding ;)

Then I'd generally do a bit of ancestor visiting, and have a pint with my Great grandad, in the pub in Wollaton where he met my Great Grandma....after that nostalgic journey, I'd then start going further back, and visit some key historical points and figures, and see how accurate history is!

Then, dinosaurs, first life etc, before going all the way to the big bang, and, if I survived that, a journey into the future would be the plan....I've got a Tardis, I'd want to land on the Enterprise :)

Rob

But in 837 it is believed to have passed within 5 million Km of Earth, reached magnitude -4 or brighter, and had a tail that extended across 60° of sky. That's the one I'd go for! :)

Pretty cool, but why limit yourself to a viewpoint from Earth. You could land ON the comet.

wow how much time have you got this could take a while my short list would be , m42 , the sunflower Galaxy, id also like to watch a sun go super nova the list would be endless m42 because its the first thing i ever saw through a scope and ever since i have dreamed of it

A planet with no clouds and permanent night.
Like the dark side of the moon? :)

[pedant]There is no permanent 'dark side' of the moon - it has a month-long day/night cycle: you'd have to keep moving around.[/pedant]

Talking of the Tardis.....Remembered this from years ago...... ;)

:):D

Go and watch all the bands I've wanted to see live and never did eg. Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Clash, The Doors and The Beatles (endless list).

Find a cure to stop people making litter and wanting everything tomorrow.

Spend a lot of time travelling the earth before there was so much concrete..

Archived