SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 253 - Sculptor Galaxy

alaskacam

Thanks guys.. @RAC, I have a Tak TOA-150B. Overkill for living in light pollution at sea level, but I love it.. I'm finding the mountain of lights, darks, flats, etc. for the LRGB process a bit overwhelming so I'm trying to standardize a bit. This shot had 8 x 10 min Lums at 1x1 binning and the RGB were all 8 x 5 minute 2x2 subs each. I did all the reduction, aligning and stacking with Nebulosity and the final tweaks in PixInsight. For some reason my reduction and stacking in PixInsight generates far worse shots than using Nebulosity. I'm guessing that there is something wrong with the settings or my workflow in PixInsight as I'm just getting familiar with it.

Thats an excellent shot Rob, lovely colour and detail. Can I add that you might have clipped some data too, the background looks a llittle dark. There may be more info in that pic to pull out. Look at the histogram and see if the left side of the peak has a little space or free area before it starts to rise up.

Tom.

I agree with Tom, I'm sure it's black clipped. However, you have the data in the bag and it looks like real quality. Don't cut back so hard and you'll find more faint detail.

I think galaxies need L. I bin colour if someone is in a rush but I'd much rather not do so and no longer use binning for myself.

Olly

Thanks guys.. Appreciate all the feedback. As for the black clipping, I need to save separate images just for the jpgs, I guess. You can see a hint of light in the full sized jpg and the background in the fts and tiff files are noticeably not black. For some reason, converting to a small jpg on this site the background always goes black.. :)

Archived