SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW 200p dobsonian

Celestial Dave

Is it possible to mount the OTA from a standard skywatcher 200p dobsonian onto an EQ5 or other equatorial mount? Or is there some difference in the OTA?

I ask as I would very much like this telescope and would be able to use it as is until I get myself an EQ mount

Clear skies

You can mount it as the scope is a newtonian and you can buy the scope with an EQ mount, probably from the same place as you are buying the scope on the dobsonian base.

Think that a 200P on an EQ5 may be a bit heavy for the mount. Even for visual the whole lot may be subject to problems of vibration and shake.

As I suspect you are considering astrophotography then the EQ5 would be too light for this. An HEQ5 may do AP but the EQ6 would be better. Also a lot more cost.

Bear in mind that the dobsonian 200P is an F/6 scope wheras the equatorially mounted version is an F/5. So the dob optical tube is longer and heavier than the EQ one which will place a bit more stress and strain on any mount it's moved onto.

Thanks for the replies guys

Ah the dobsonian is an f/6

Thanks for that info Jahmanson I didn't notice that subtle difference, tyvm

I have no immediate aspirations of AP other than perhaps some simple planetary/lunar but certainly nothing up to the level that would require an uber mount :icon_salut: I am looking into the 200p/EQ5 as a good solid all purpose scope that I can use to enjoy the views and learn more with :D

Thanks again for the info's, now I know the dob OTA is not the same as the EQ OTA - answer found!

Archived