Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

spaceboy

Did anyone go out last night.

no too much cloud about not lookin good till about tuesday. not good :icon_salut:

The forecast for Beds was meant to be clear until 12am or 1am. So, I rushed home from work, set up like a loonie, picked my target to make sure I could get enough data in by 12am, and of course...

It was wall to wall cloud by 8pm!

Gotta love this hobby at times LOL! Hope you got a bit more luck and when it does come together, it's magic!

Edited by Luke

yup, I did. nice way to celebrate turning 40 - alongside the glass of whisky at beddybyes time !

I went out at 10pm, and looked to see if the GSR would transit, but kicked myself for not going out before, as Europa was transiting, and I missed it by an hour !

mind you, I don't think I'd've missed much - I doubt I'd see the shadow of that moon in my scope, with my horrid black country skies :icon_salut: I also had a quick glance at some faves: double cluster in Cass, M31 and the Pleiades. but it was bl00dy cold, so not much fun if you're already done in ! :D

Did anyone see that meteor about half 10 that went right across the sky from Perseus in the East to Lyra in the West? It was the most impressive I've seen in a while.

Yes, i seen this as well. I was looking at M31 through my bins when i seen it. lucky because i only popped out for ten mins.

I also went out about 12.30 for a quick look and had my first view of orion since last winter!

It won't be clear here... I have just got a new OTA.

Lesson no.1: never order new kit when its nice - that way rubbish weather isnt your fault :icon_salut:

I wanted to get some more subs of the Veil and Orion so I was up from 8pm to 4am. Seeing as the guiding was doing good I went inside a few times to warm up.

Note to self get a winter jacket and a ski mask.

I met up with other members of Wiltshire AS (17 turned up) at Lacock, set upmy Meade LX90 and then the clouds started to roll in! Managed to get Jupiter (very briefly), M13, M92 and M57 before it became hopeless. We waited around for the next 30 minutes before heading off to the Red Lion for a meeting with drinks! When I got home just after midnight I could see Jupiter very clearly. Oh the British weather sometimes....

Peter

I met up with other members of Wiltshire AS (17 turned up) at Lacock, set upmy Meade LX90 and then the clouds started to roll in! Managed to get Jupiter (very briefly), M13, M92 and M57 before it became hopeless. We waited around for the next 30 minutes before heading off to the Red Lion for a meeting with drinks! When I got home just after midnight I could see Jupiter very clearly. Oh the British weather sometimes....

Peter

I think all of us in this great and fascinating hobby know just how you feel! :icon_salut:

Brinders

I went out Thursday night and Friday night. I feel like a zombie. Saw the GRS transit on Thursday but the seeing was really poor (disappointed about this - I'm hoping maybe Monday night/Tue morning now). The seeing was poor to start with on Friday but steadily improved and was reasonable by midnight.

I've felt the astro guilt before. You wait weeks for an observing window, then one comes up and you just feel too tired. Makes you doubt your commitment but realistically you've got to cut yourself some slack. Sometimes you're just going to be too tired for it. Actually I was feeling a different sort of astro guilt on Friday. I've been meaning to take someone out observing and Friday would have been the perfect opportunity but I clean forgot.

I was out from 8:00 till 11:30 seeing was ok about a 3.5 / 5.0 though the dew was horrendous, finally winning the battle at approx 10:30 ish

got some nice captures on jupiter and did some general looking about the sky.

I was shattered but was not going to sacrifice a clear night as the forecast for the rest of this week around these parts is horrendous

Yeah dew killed me off after only 30 minutes last night! Not good at all!

Only consolation is that my dew strips and controller turned up on the door mat this morning so next session let the battle commence! :icon_salut:

Edited by MjrTom

:eek:I was out cycling from 7:30 to about 9:30pm. The sky was amazingly clear so I took my binocs with me.

Had a look round the sky when I stopped for a water break about 8:15 or so as I was out in the sticks by then at it was lovely and dark. Saw a lot of stars and fuzzy areas (which I would guess were clusters or nebulas) that I just can't see in the city.

Saw the ISS before I went out, 1st time I've seen it for a few years and forgot just how bright it is in the sky :icon_salut:

Hopefully get some clear skies again soon :D

Edited by Fariniac

I saw the meteor too!

I was imaging from 1.30pm (solar) and then DSO imaging from about 8.30pm until 2.30am Saturday morning when cloud stopped play. First decent imaging night I have had for months!

Okay you asked, be ready for a good laugh 'cause here's my story:

So i got the telescope out pretty late and got to my dark spot at around midnight only to see that they messed up the streetlamp timers again so they ruined my spot. That's okay, i drove around for an hour to find another good spot and then i thought of those football fields over there..So i drove out there and it was really dark without any lights at all, i could see some stars i have never seen before around and in the Ursa Major area. The milky way was so striking it looked like it could fall down on me any second.

I drove my almost two ton minivan out on the grass without thinking it had rained earlier the same day, then could feel the car sinking a little bit so i turned around but got stuck two meters away from the edge of the grass field.

I had to call around to see if anyone could help me pull the car back up on the gravel, one friend had drunk 8 beers earlier so he couldn't help so i woke my other friend up who came to help me at 1 am with a shovel and a towing line. Oh, and i also dropped my phone in the wet grass and it got stuck in headphone mode so i had to use the speaker..

I ran out of gas so we had to drive to a gas station to get some gas in the spare tank and fill it in the car when we came back to the now muddy field.

My friends car broke down (his springs were already broken but now they got worse) so we had to pick up the old VW polo at home but it was too light and weak to pull a minivan up from a muddy hole.

We left it there after three hours (4 am) and i got my father to help me pull it up this morning. After a bit of cleaning, last night didn't happen :D

So yeah, i got out but no stargazing at me unless swearing at the unusually wide and bright milky way counts :)

I'll remember not to drive on grass next time, i was just too busy watching the awesome sky instead of thinking about the rain that poured down a few hours earlier.

I hope you'll find this fun, i can't stop laughing while thinking about it in my warm room, myself :icon_salut:

Sounds like you had an eventful night. :icon_salut:

Anders, it sounds like my kind of luck....lol

Funny afterwards but at the time I'm sure you were getting a little frustrated, I know I would have been...then laughed stupidly when I got home :icon_salut:

Haha it kind of was, wasn't it :D

Oh well, there will be more opportunities this winter :icon_salut:

@fariniac

I think there were more swearwords coming out of my mouth than normal words, but I laughed afterwards cause pretty much everything that could go wrong, did :)

Edited by Anders

That sucks, Anders! Hope you get a great session in next time around to make up a tiny bit for your hard luck!