10" or 12"?

I'd love a 16" but would also have to buy a house in a light free area where I could site the scope permanently to make the most of it. :icon_salut:

Simon

Me too, which is why it is a plan for the future. :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day, a light-free area is needed to make the most out of any scope. Even under light polluted skies a larger scope will show you more. Furthermore, a well-designed 16" can be as portable as 12" Dobs such as those made by Orion. The key is to have a light-weight, shallow, mirror box so that the rocker can be very low-profile.

I was going to say that aperture is king, but it really isnt. What is the point in owning a scope that is too large and heavy for you to move around?. It wont get much use and you may end up selling it quickly.

IF (and only IF) portability/storage is not an issue for you then YES, go for a 12".

Sorry to bang on about this, but how about measuring the dimensions of the inside of your locker. Then contact whoever you are buying the scope from or ask people here to measure the diameter of the base for the telescope you are planning to get. That way you will know when you order that you can definitely fit it in your locker.

Hi again, in answer to JamesC my locker aperture is 50cm W x 130cm H x 55cm D. Is this big enough for a 10" Flextube? On the OVL / Skywatcher website it shows a collapsed Flextube packed away in a car - any guesses as to this instruments size?

Thanks again.

Oh dear - it looks like I may have to consider going to an 8"! Or maybe just forget about using during a night shift (nice dark skies) & getting a 12" for home use only but I have the usual LP issues although not dreadful.

Tough luck about the dimensions but better to know in advance. I got a bit of a shock when my 12" turned up. I value dark skies over aperature. Star gazing on night shift sounds pretty sweet too if you can get away with it. It should be possible to fit a sturdy tripod and small scope in that locker. Trouble is dobs are such good value that they make everything else look expensive. Camera tripod heads don't really cut it - you need something made for astro. Hope you find something you are happy with.

I see a couple of posters mention 10" as grab and go......wow. Everything is relative I suppose, I always considered something like 6" or below as grab and go. Maybe in a few years when i own something like a 16", I'll look at my 10" as the cute little baby of the family!

I value dark skies over aperature. .

So do I.

A small scope under a good dark sky is far better than a big one in a city.

I personally think every observer should try to get to dark skies at least once or twice a year if at all possible.

It may not always be easy or practical to do so but the rewards more than make up for the effort.

It can also help if aperture fever has taken a hold.:D

Only problem then is dark sky addiction takes its place.:icon_salut:

Regards Steve

I see a couple of posters mention 10" as grab and go......wow. Everything is relative I suppose, I always considered something like 6" or below as grab and go. Maybe in a few years when i own something like a 16", I'll look at my 10" as the cute little baby of the family!

I own a 250px Dob and there is no way I'd describe is as a grab and go. It is certainly portable but with the battery pack, seat, eyepiece cases et al........ Definitely not.

I love it though.:)

Simon

To be honest im acctualy quite happy i went for the 10"..the extra light grasp of the 12" would be nice, But its going to be a handfull to move around!!.

Its also worth noting that a 10" will fit across the backseats of most cars so you can easily transport it to darker sites, the 12" i believe would be too big..and would need the back seats folded down-making it quite a bit more difficult to transport and secure in place.

If in light polluted areas the views are never going to be fantastic, and if the 10" will let you travel to darker sites more often then id say go for the 10"

If you have nice dark skys where you live and dont intend to transport it as much..and you are comfortable with the weight..the 12" might be the better choice.

Here is a video of my 250px next to some common household items...its still quite a handfull!.

Skywatcher 250px - Size comparison with well known objects - YouTube

Archived