Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tom OD

M45 Pleiades

Hi SGL,

Well its taken me 5 years to finally get an M45 I'm happy with. :D

So difficult to process, with such a large dynamic range.

FSQ106N, 11Meg Atik, 8hrs Lum, and 9hrs RGB. Processed in PixInsight and PhotoShop.

Tom.

post-17334-133877685252_thumb.jpg

WOW, that is stunning!!!

5 years, now that's what I call perseverance, what a wonderful result, something for beginners like me to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aha, I've seen this one in the making and very fine it is too. This is going to be a hard act to follow so I'm glad I haven't finished mine yet! You've brought something new to the library of great M45 images out there, capturing the silvery quality in the blue reflection. It's essential to get the brown background dust into the image to make sense of what's happening as the cluster ploughs through this thick patch of interstellar stuff. Your background is just great, detailed but not overstretched.

Olly

Fantastic! wonderful image, its got it all, dust, colour, wide field interest... hours well spent :icon_salut:

Wow. That's unlike any image i have ever seen of M45 before. I think its the background that really makes it pop.

Well done.

Probably the best M45 I've ever seen to date, so nicely framed and processed.

Looking forward to Olly's now !

Hi Tom,

a real stunner! Wonderful. This is on my to do list for this winter. Your result is a reference for me.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Olly, that Lab a b boost really helped bring out the dust a lot from a low dirty looking brown. I did have to layer back in the core neb as a lot of the stars started to go purple.

I did also use the RGB frame for the star colour. Nice to get it all to fit together.

Also just thinking about the colour of the neb itself. You can get it to look icy blue (Push the geen curve), or a warmer blue, with a blue curve push. You get a lot of options with colour balancing, or colour selection I guess with this object.

Tom.

Edited by Tom OD

The Lab a b boost is one I learned from MartinB and it's a killer technique.

Olly

:icon_salut:I had no Idea it was possible to get the Pleiades looking like this! Amazing! I would definately submit it to the mags like Astronomy Now and Sky at Night etc.. very inspirational:headbang:

It isn't "Dark Matter" that is holding the Universe together - - - it's DUST ! ! ! :icon_salut::D

Amazing image Tom...certainly the best I've seen of M45, and seeing in in context with the dust is a real eye opener....hats off to you :icon_salut:

Cheers

Rob

Spectacular! I love the way the wide field and brown dust show off the cluster.